General Norman Schwarzkopf Dies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I admired that man. During the first (and only justified) Gulf War, I really enjoyed those times that he was interviewed and we got to see him and hear him speak. Modern day Blood & Guts Patton, seems to me. No screwing around, he just got 'er done. I'd have followed that man through the gates of Hell.

Reactions: DAKSY
He was a amazing military leader, did so much for his country. Always was amazed by the fact that his father, a german military officer, immigrated to the U.S. and became the first commondant of the New Jersey State Police. That proud organization carried forth the para-military structure and tradition for many years before the politicians stuck their noses into it and set it back in many ways. #1 on Daksy's analogy that a true hero has left our midst. R.I.P. General.

Smart dude.
I once heard that he had a 170 IQ.

However, his self description near the end of life says even more about him:
Schwarzkopf was a national spokesman for prostate cancer awareness and for Recovery of the Grizzly Bear, served on the Nature Conservancy board of governors and was active in various charities for chronically ill children.
"I may have made my reputation as a general in the Army and I'm very proud of that," he once told the AP. "But I've always felt that I was more than one-dimensional. I'd like to think I'm a caring human being. ... It's nice to feel that you have a purpose."

Reactions: will711 and DAKSY
Anybody that publicly called William Westmoreland a horse's ass is alright with me.

Rest in peace. Sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.