Generator Origin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Lot of talk here lately about generators. And like most places on the web talk about staying away from generators from China and getting those good Honda ones. I was ordering some stuff from Grainger and an ad for Honda gennys caught my eye. Take a look at this one and look at the last spec which is country of origin. :lol: Looked at several more and it was the same.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/HONDA-Industrial-Generator-6NCL3?Pid=search

Wow! That's quite the price tag.

pen

Big surprise. Why wouldn't Honda sell to whoever's buying? I would.

The Chinese are capable of both ends of the quality spectrum. They're not famous for the better end tho. There are many companies proving that where it's manufactured doesn't dictate quality. Stihl, Deere and I'm sure many other reputable companies build quality products in China.

China is the reason Japan never came out of their recession. Short hop across the sea to save 80% of labor costs.

A lot of high end manufacturing companies are losing their edge because China basically will build a navite-owned competing factory across the street, then steal/reverse engineer the same product with as many of the same workers they can get. You HAVE to make your technology available if you want to do business in China. Also, any company has to have 51% citizen ownership. It a rule of law they buy machinery in groups of 3: One to work, one for parts, and the other to reverse engineer so they can sell the same one back to your customers.

Can't say I blame them. We did the same thing to the English textile business. Industrial spies against England were treated as heros in America.

pen said:
Wow! That's quite the price tag.

pen

If I had decided to buy a generator any other time but during a power outage, I would have bought the Honda. Just all around better and quieter. All of the new generators that you are seeing; generac 5500 in HD or Lowes for $650 or the Briggs SR 5500 for $800ish...they are all not even close to the quality of the Honda. I'll live with my Storm Responder for now but I am very aware that it could break down at any time. Maybe not really the motor but the generator side. Happened already with my Briggs after about 100 hours. Changed the oil regularly and took care of it but the generator chit in the middle of the recent outage in CT. Thought it might just be the breaker but it was the gen. Luckily, Lowes had another in stock.

This is especially interesting because of the horrible stuff done to China by Japan in the big war. I hadn't read much about that situation in recent years, but for a long while China didn't want to have anything to do with Japan. I guess the right amount of Yen can make it easy to get past just about anything :red:

I couldn't justify that kind of money for a genset for lights/temp heat at my house. But if I needed job-site power for a crew of 4 its a no-brainer. You pay double when the work stops. A honda generator's price is justified by the notion this generator will start and run all day every day rain or shine for years.

btuser said:
I couldn't justify that kind of money for a genset for lights/temp heat at my house. But if I needed job-site power for a crew of 4 its a no-brainer. You pay double when the work stops. A honda generator's price is justified by the notion this generator will start and run all day every day rain or shine for years.

On the nose there for sure btu. We use them on job sites whenever needed & only them for exactly the reasons you mention. Small enough to fit in wheelbarrow & be moved around, powerful enough to keep the whole crew working like you said all day everyday for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.