Gettin the Wood Storage Area Shaped Up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rottiman

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 23, 2009
Ontario Canada
Trying to get my firewood area straightened up before I go in for surgery to have my left knee replaced. Only have this week off, but between the lousy weather and hobbling around like a cripple, its not goin' as fast as I would like. Thank god for Lil' Red and the splitter. Oh well, better days are ahead. Happy New Years to all in Hearth.com land. Hope all goes well for you and yours in 12'

Attachments

• Firewood Ramblings 007 (Custom).jpg
    Firewood Ramblings 007 (Custom).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 614
  • Firewood Ramblings 001 (Custom) (2).jpg
    Firewood Ramblings 001 (Custom) (2).jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 615
I don't envy deadlines and weather doggin you but I sure do envy that tractor. I wish you well with the remaining time available and hope the surgery goes better than expected.

I've got my area all cleaned up in anticipation of getting a truckload of logs but what with the layoffs, the wife wants to wait and see.

Wow! Is that a current pic rott? Nothing but miserable weather here. Rain , fog, and cloudy grey skies. Wishing you the best on your new bionic knee. I had 2 friends recently that have new knees and its amazing how fast the recovery was. :)

wishlist said:
Wow! Is that a current pic rott? Nothing but miserable weather here. Rain , fog, and cloudy grey skies. Wishing you the best on your new bionic knee. I had 2 friends recently that have new knees and its amazing how fast the recovery was. :)

The pictures are about 2 hours old. Warmed up to about 20f here today. Had been down in the single digits with a strong NW wind the prior couple of days. Working in that lousy wind chill weather sucks as you get older. Can't take the cold like I used to.

rottiman said:
Trying to get my firewood area straightened up before I go in for surgery to have my left knee replaced. Only have this week off, but between the lousy weather and hobbling around like a cripple, its not goin' as fast as I would like. Thank god for Lil' Red and the splitter. Oh well, better days are ahead. Happy New Years to all in Hearth.com land. Hope all goes well for you and yours in 12'

Looks good Rottiman, hope the op goes well.

Happy New Year
Zap

LLigetfa said:
I don't envy deadlines and weather doggin you but I sure do envy that tractor. I wish you well with the remaining time available and hope the surgery goes better than expected.

I've got my area all cleaned up in anticipation of getting a truckload of logs but what with the layoffs, the wife wants to wait and see.

I can understand her hesitation. Nothing is really secure anymore. I had to bite the bullet and get the load simply cause I, #1 Don't have time to knock any down. and 2) Probably couldn't even if I had the time, hobbling along. Hows the weather up in your area?

I wish you the best for your surgery. As I'm quite sure you know, it's certainly not a minor procedure, but it really has become pretty routine over the past few decades. From talking with the folks I know who've had knee or hip replacement (including my dad - both hips), the recurring theme is to pay strict attention to the post-op regimen. Again, I really hope all goes well. Rick

fossil said:
I wish you the best for your surgery. As I'm quite sure you know, it's certainly not a minor procedure, but it really has become pretty routine over the past few decades. From talking with the folks I know who've had knee or hip replacement (including my dad - both hips), the recurring theme is to pay strict attention to the post-op regimen. Again, I really hope all goes well. Rick

Thanks Rick. I here ya re rehab. I work in a hospital and have talked to our rehab folks in depth about what to expect and how best to deal with it. Plan to follow the directions religously fopr sure.

looks cold - but looks good!

Looks good Rottiman. Nice work. Nice tractor. Nice load of logs. I wish you the very best for your operation and recovery. Keep us up to date.

rottiman said:
Hows the weather up in your area?
Cold one day, mild the next. It's been dipping down to double digit freezing at night and single digit freezing through the day. Got mild enough to thaw some days.

Rottiman, this reminds me of a year ago. We had very little snow in January and I faced hip surgery at the end of the month. I feared a snow storm might come up when I was in the hospital so showed my wife how to plow snow. Sure enough, a blizzard hit and I even had to stay an extra day in the hospital because she could not get there to pick me up. Hospital was extremely short of help then too! When I got home I was very proud of the job she did and that was her first time except for me taking her into the field and showing her how it is done. That is difficult when you only have about an inch of snow but she learned quickly and well.

Good luck on the knee.

Backwoods Savage said:
Rottiman, this reminds me of a year ago. We had very little snow in January and I faced hip surgery at the end of the month. I feared a snow storm might come up when I was in the hospital so showed my wife how to plow snow. Sure enough, a blizzard hit and I even had to stay an extra day in the hospital because she could not get there to pick me up. Hospital was extremely short of help then too! When I got home I was very proud of the job she did and that was her first time except for me taking her into the field and showing her how it is done. That is difficult when you only have about an inch of snow but she learned quickly and well.

Good luck on the knee.

Thanks Dennis, with our wonderful medical system I sit and wait for a phone call with the date,supposedly sometime in Feb. Meanwhile, back to work on wednesday (6 days a week) until I go in. The clock is ticking down, so go go go..............................Hope the new year is good for you and the Mrs.

I like that tractor you've got there. Those loaders are a big help in the wood process. Good luck on the operation and recovery. Take it easy...

chvymn99 said:
I like that tractor you've got there. Those loaders are a big help in the wood process. Good luck on the operation and recovery. Take it easy...

Good little tractor. I have had it for 4 years now. 25 hp diesel, 4wd. Strong quik detach loader, 60" mid mount mower and 3 ph pto driven vac system on back. Makes life a whole lot easier for sure. put 2- 12" bucket extensions on the 48" factory bucket for snow. Works well 4 seasons for me.

rottiman, I'm a believer in "you do what you gotta' do", and it looks like you have some nice tools to help you with that.
I hope the knee replacement goes well, and can vouch for the post-surgery stuff. I have 2 sis-in-laws who didn't follow the routine and have had problems because of it.
Keep us abreast of things and we'll be thinking of you.

rottiman, I wish you all the best with the upcoming surgery. We take our health and mobility for granted sometimes, or at least I did! Hope everything goes well. Looks like you will be ready.

Very nice "set up"
Good to be ahead before the surgery :)
Good luck with surgery.

Thanks all for your kind comments. Gettin' old ain't great as far as the physical side goes. Too much activity when I was younger is now taking its toll. But alas, my problem is minor compared to what some folks are forced to endure. as they say, "you just take er' as she comes." Hope all here have a healthy and prosperous 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.