Getting a new stove need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay59

Sep 21, 2013
I have started looking for a pellet stove to heat my 1200 set ranch in ct. I went to look at a Harmon p38. The dealer was thinking for a small amount more I would be better off with a p43 with auto start.
I then saw a stove by Ravelli model Franceca and seam like a nice unit and better fit as its taller not wider, but not sure what support would be from a italian company. Is this the same as a ecoteck? Does anyone have any info on them?
I would prefer to get info now before I make a mistake. Thanks for your help.

It's an Ecoteck-Ravelli. Same company. If I remember correctly Lake girl and Scott both have one and they like them. Maybe they'll chime in. The distributor pulled out of NM and left some homeowners scratching their heads.

On the P38-P43, basically same stove, but yes the P43 has the auto ignition, which is a must if you want to run in room temperature mode, or if you want the wife to be able to fire up the stove without cursing you out for being cheap >>

With most stoves the dealer is the link to service and warranty work. They are linked to the company and request warranty related claims. Most of the stove manufactures won't deal with you directly and you have to go through the dealer. FYI So your dealer has to be top notch and not leave you hanging if there is as issue down the road.

I'd stay with the Harmon(why does spell check do that?) or another company like St Croix-Enviro-Regency-Vistaflame-Lopi-Avalon-Quadrafire-Hearthstone-Warmland(pacific Energy) and Hudson River stove works as they have a excellent dealer base with factory backing. If the distributor bailed I'd be very leery of no factory support.

Enviro has the Mini which is a taller smaller framed unit and has good reviews. But may lack enough BTU's for your application. There may be a few others that might be in line to what your looking for if you search the brands I listed. Bosca also has some smaller units but they may also have to little BTU's for your space. St Croix Element might be a better fit and has more BTU's

http://stcroixstoves.com/multi-fuel-stoves/compact-multi-fuel-stove-element

Try to stay in the 40 to 50K BTU range so you have enough for the cold. To small a BTU unit will require using the current heating system to assist the stove in the cold weather.

Last edited:
What is a "small amount"? Last I checked it was around a $400 option. Something to think about anyway. If this is your primary source of heat, it's gonna be running 24/7 for the entire heating season, minus cleaning shut downs. That's not too many manual lights, which take all of 45 seconds with a propane torch or 2 min with gel.

Not knowing anything about your other choice, my vote is for the Harman, for ease of use and access to parts.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Pellet stoves are fun and you'll have WAY less guilt running higher temps in your home.

I have started looking for a pellet stove to heat my 1200 set ranch in ct. I went to look at a Harmon p38. The dealer was thinking for a small amount more I would be better off with a p43 with auto start.
I then saw a stove by Ravelli model Franceca and seam like a nice unit and better fit as its taller not wider, but not sure what support would be from a italian company. Is this the same as a ecoteck? Does anyone have any info on them?
I would prefer to get info now before I make a mistake. Thanks for your help.

A good dealer is worth some extra cost but try to talk to a few customers he has had to find out. Also don't buy a stove just cause it looks "cute". The pellet stove is one of the few appliances that will pay for itself and I would strongly advise getting automatic ignition. Actually I would say get a Harman just because they are simple, most of the time trouble free. I would also advise a bigger stove then you think you need. It is easier to turn it down rather then have to turn your furnace on knowing you could have bought a stove a little bigger and not have to run the furnace at all. A good idea would be to talk to someone who has had a stove like you are going to buy and see how they like it. They will have the experience and be able to give you lots of helpful information about how to clean it and what to expect from it.
Another thing is look in the archives and try to read about the model you are interested in. You may be able to see any common problems with that particular model. Keep in mind that for each person writing in about a problem there is probably several stoves that are trouble free.
Keep in mind there will be maintenence involved; cleaning the stove, dumping the ashes, cleaning the exh pipes. The first year you will learn how to run it, maintain it, and get your hands dirty. At the end of the year you should be able to say, I learned a lot and saved a lot of fuel cost.
Most of the stove companies have parts made overseas and I guess that shouldn't be a deal breaker. Parts from the stove manufacturer can be costly and lots of times you can get parts elsewhere and save a fair amount. Harman and Quadrafire are owned by the same company and the cost for their igniters is very high.

Status
Not open for further replies.