Getting heat from basement to 1st floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hossville

Nov 19, 2014
Durham
I have a drolet woodstove in my basement. I can get the temp up to about 78+ degrees in the basement but when its below 30 degrees outside, I struggle to get the temp on the first floor above 62. The idea I thought would work is: put a return in the living thats attached to a fan, causing a negative pressure in the upstairs and positive pressure inthe basement. This would push the heat to the first floor. the return would be on the opposite side of the house from my basement stairs, hopefully causing the heat to flow through out the house. Has anyone else done this? Does it work? And how well does it work? Any better ideas?

Try a small vornado fan on the top of the basement stairs aiming the cold air towards the heat source, you won't move warm air til the cold air moves first. you don't need a lot of air movement, just enough to get the convection loop going.

Try a small vornado fan on the top of the basement stairs aiming the cold air towards the heat source, you won't move warm air til the cold air moves first. you don't need a lot of air movement, just enough to get the convection loop going.
Thanks for the advise. I will be trying the vornado and then the air return.

I raised this same issue in my thread regarding a Scandia 315 that I recently repaired and re-installed in the basement. In my home, I the ductwork for the forced air heat passes exposed along the basment ceiling. I was thinking of attaching a small fan directed into the vent that dumps warm air into the basment when the heat is on. When the heat was off and the stove was heating the basment, I could turn on the fan and force some warm air into the ductwork to be distributed throught the second floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.