1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Getting lots of heat from the brick around my insert. Glad I did a block off plate

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by WoodpileOCD, Jan 23, 2013.

1. WoodpileOCD

WoodpileOCD Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NC
    I've been running my Buck pretty hard the last few days (as most of us have with the weather) and I occasionally throw the IR thermometer on the brick around the insert. The whole fireplace heats up and stores and releases lots of heat. You can see the temps registering 2 and 4 courses of brick up from the insert. The inside of the fireplace is getting anywhere from 150 to 220 depending on where I shoot it. I can't help but believe the block off plate is keeping that heat inside the living area and radiating it back into the house rather than up the chimney. That much mass throws a lot of heat and does it for a very long time.

Anyone else ever measure this and what kind of results do you get.

Here's a picture of the blockoff plate. Got the idea from a thread here called 'Poor mans blockoff plate" or something like that. Thanks to whoever posted that. Not that hard and highly recommend for anyone doing an insert install.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. legrandice

legrandice Burning Hunk

Loc:
    South Hadley, MA
    I too have an insert in a brick fireplace. I have a home made block off plate in there as well. My brick works like a great heat sink. Long after the stove cools down it's still putting out a little heat.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    We've had many reports from folks that see a dramatic before and after improvement with a block off plate. This seems to be especially true for exterior chimneys, but all benefit from it.
  4. WoodpileOCD

WoodpileOCD Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NC
    Be green, i can't really vouch for a before and after because I changed so many things at the same time. Went from a 'slammer' install to a 25'liner with a BO plate and dryer wood. I'd never install another without it however. Oh yea, the other thing I did at the same time was remove the surround.
  5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I have a block-off plate over the 30-NC in the fireplace. And that load of bricks does just like yours and stores up heat and gives it back.
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Proof of the pudding seems to be there. If I had a fireplace I'd definitely have a block-off plate, but I took ours out 6 years ago.
  7. HaTaX

HaTaX New Member

Loc:
    Minnesota
    That's great! I have been digging around for a replacement for my insert and one thing I kept thinking was, it would be nice if I could get an insert that looked good without it's surround. Is that a Buck insert? Some of the inserts look good without their surround, and some others really expose a lot of nuts and bolts, yours looks great!

I'll be keeping this in mind as I run my liner and install my block off plate, more heat is always good!

And now you've got me surfing Buck's website trolling around for what inserts they offer, good job on that one. ;)