Getting more heat, coaling stage...turn on blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
At what point in the coal stage, does the stove stop producing heat? Is there a way to measure via flue thermometer?

I read a thread on here stating to turn on the blower, interesting. I'll give it a try.

Any more tips to get more bang for your buck/heat at the coaling stage, before re-fueling?

I use room temp, if it drops too much, I know I need to add more wood to halt the drop.

Last edited:
At what point in the coal stage, does the stove stop producing heat? Is there a way to measure via flue thermometer?

I read a thread on here stating to turn on the blower, interesting. I'll give it a try.

Any more tips to get more bang for your buck/heat at the coaling stage, before re-fueling?
Yes the blower will extract more heat pening up the air will give you more heat as well. With my regency I usually reloaded once the stove top dropped to 250 or so.

Anytime the stove body feels warm to the touch it is providing heat and a blower can only help liberate more heat from the stove.

To get more heat out of the coals you can stir them up to get the coals out from under he ashes. Or just load more fuel on top of them, they won’t be wasted.

Reactions: bholler
The coals will continue to give off heat until consumed. Not necessarily enough to heat the place. Pull the coals to the front of the fire box, don't be afraid to pile them up, open the air 50% or more, and it will product more heat for a couple hours or more. Save enough for a good coal bed, reload, repeat.