Getting pellet stove installed. Any problem with hearth pad on top of carpet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klinker1

Jun 20, 2011
central pa
Just wondering if there was any problem with putting the hearth pad right on top of the carpet. There is particle board underneath.

Hello

My neighbor's heating man put plywood and patio blocks in the corner over his Berber Carpet and it has been fine for 3 years!

Although it does block the air to the baseboard heat so his oil boiler is even less efficient when it runs!

klinker1 said:
Just wondering if there was any problem with putting the hearth pad right on top of the carpet. There is particle board underneath.
That's what I did. 3 yrs ago...no problems. Just make sure its the right size for your stove.

Thats great news! Thanks for all the replys. Hopefully I'll finally get this thing installed this month. I have 5 tons of pellets ready to burn already.

You're going to ruin the carpet anyway, so why not do it right and cut the carpet out? Are you worried about re-stretching it?

Would suspect the pad will kind of float on teh carpet and it be mushy no??

I put my pad ontop of my laminate floor. People told me to cut it, but I didn't want to.

The installer said they didn't do carpet work. I never have myself either so I guess I would rather not mess with it and chance screwing something up.

If you buy a premade UL Listed hearth pad like the ones made by American Panel, you place it on the carpet and your done for less than $300.

There are TWO bad things about putting a hearthpad on top of carpet - especially wall-to-wall...
1. The tackstrip which holds the carpet in place is about 3/16" thick & if you run a corner hearthpad
or a flat wall pad right up to the wall, you will get a tilt to it & over time it WILL crack.
2. While this is true mainly for wood stoves that generate heat to the pad, there is supposed to be an airflow
between the pad & the floor below it to keep the heat transfer from the pad to the floor at a minimum.
Carpet will be crushed by the weight on the edges but not in the middle & will contact the bottom of the pad,
preventing air flow. Like I said above, this generally doesn't come into play with pellet units...
See if you can find a buddy to cut the carpet for you...Twelve pack of Heinie's oughta do it...

I use a leftover piece if carpet then a cheap rug over the toP of that.

DAKSY said:
There are TWO bad things about putting a hearthpad on top of carpet - especially wall-to-wall...
1. The tackstrip which holds the carpet in place is about 3/16" thick & if you run a corner hearthpad
or a flat wall pad right up to the wall, you will get a tilt to it & over time it WILL crack.
2. While this is true mainly for wood stoves that generate heat to the pad, there is supposed to be an airflow
between the pad & the floor below it to keep the heat transfer from the pad to the floor at a minimum.
Carpet will be crushed by the weight on the edges but not in the middle & will contact the bottom of the pad,
preventing air flow. Like I said above, this generally doesn't come into play with pellet units...
See if you can find a buddy to cut the carpet for you...Twelve pack of Heinie's oughta do it...

The only thing I agree with here is the 12 pack of Heinies and not pushing a hearth pad right to the wall.

In 27 years I have yet to see an American Panel hearth pad crack on a carpet. In fact, the few I have seen cracked were on solid floors that have warped or whatever over time since the install. It's my opinion that a carpet under a hearth pad helps even out the rough spots and make it less prone to cracking.

And Harleys are girly bikes.

My XXV hearthpad is sitting on the carpet. No regrets.

I didn't want to have to deal with cutting the carpet and then messing with
new tackstrips and/or ripples in the rug.

Status
Not open for further replies.