Getting pellet stove next week... questions about pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
$3.10/gallon oil is about equivalent to $340/ton pellets.

Granted baseboard heating heats rooms that are not occupied, even with careful zoning, whereas I close the doors of rooms that need not be more than a buffer area so it's easier to use less BTU's when heating with pellets.

I'm thinking I had incompetent plumbers and that's why my baseboard doesn't work as it should. I realize pellet stoves are basically space heaters but also some of the heat will move throughout the house. I know it will not be our sole source of heat but I am hoping it makes my home more comfortable.
Do you have your boiler temp set high enough? A lot of the time people will turn down the water temp on their boiler in the summer to save fuel(if they must keep it on for dhw) but that lower water temp will not heat a house properly once it gets cold. Baseboard heaters need relatively hot water to work properly and of the boiler is only putting out 120-140 degree water that may explain why it isn't working for you.

Do you have your boiler temp set high enough? A lot of the time people will turn down the water temp on their boiler in the summer to save fuel(if they must keep it on for dhw) but that lower water temp will not heat a house properly once it gets cold. Baseboard heaters need relatively hot water to work properly and of the boiler is only putting out 120-140 degree water that may explain why it isn't working for you.

Thanks for the idea but we have a separate hot water heater (which we are now replacing as well) so I don't think that's the issue but I will have my husband check the temp anyway.

hoss referred to it - hate to burst your bubble but... pine, spruce, fir are better in your pellet beast. The very sap that creates creosote in standard wood burners ensures a better, more complete burn in pellet form. There is less carbon build-up on the burn pot, window stays cleaner and the ash is lighter so does not clog up the inner smoke chambers as quickly. Oh - they generally produce more heat too. Your igniter doesn't have to work as hard to get them burning... But, it's like everything else - some brands are better than others.

Well I learned something new about pellet stoves. I will try to find a bag or two and give the soft woods a try in the pellet stove. Might be hard to find around here. Not sure so I'll look around. I am very happy with my Setts and Pro's burn though.

hoss referred to it - hate to burst your bubble but... pine, spruce, fir are better in your pellet beast. The very sap that creates creosote in standard wood burners ensures a better, more complete burn in pellet form. There is less carbon build-up on the burn pot, window stays cleaner and the ash is lighter so does not clog up the inner smoke chambers as quickly. Oh - they generally produce more heat too. Your igniter doesn't have to work as hard to get them burning... But, it's like everything else - some brands are better than others.

Hoss, Yes, I understand that! I learned something new about pellet stoves and will look for some soft wood pellets to try out to see for myself. I am Happy with the Pro's (ProPellet PFI premium Indiana Forest Products manufactured by: Fiber By-Products Corp White Pigeon, MI) thus far and know what they do and have no issues. Bag states 8,200 BTU's per lb premium hardwood. It is 80 here today but later this week will be cold again. Weather swings are nuts here. In a couple of days it will be in the 40's with a low in the 20's they are forecasting. I will give the Setts a burn run at that time. They are manufactured by: ( Somersett Pellets and Hardwood Flooring in Somersett, KY 1 1/2 hrs away locally. 100% hardwood with 8,200 BTU's minimum and can get higher BTU's depending on wood composition used in pellets). BTU's are not stated on the Setts bag so I called them personally to verify. Both have very low ash and fines.

Lake Girl, No worries. I quit trying to fly around in a bubble years ago. I've been skidding down the gravel road on my azz for some time now. LOL!

Just for educational purposes how do soft woods burn hotter in pellet stoves? I am a newbie and have only burned 5-6 bags of Pro's total in my life time. I know soft woods burn easier and catch the flame quicker (ignite) but fail to see how they produce more BTU's than hardwoods or longer burn times etc;. I know pellets are compressed but in my logic the softer particles would still burn quicker and / or would not produce more BTU's. I could be wrong, but I am also willing to listen and educate myself so, that said, I am willing to be the donkey for everyone's benefit. What is the BTU's per lb. of said softwoods? Let me know about your burning experience with them please.

Referring to cord wood the hardwoods give off more BTU's than soft and burn much longer with less ash and creosote etc;. So my thought would be that the same would be reflected in pellets. ??????? I am wide open and would like to be educated on the softwood pellets. If they are better then I am no opposed to using them if I can find them here. What are your thoughts? I am also open for anyone's thoughts or facts on the softwood vs. hardwood pellets. I'm sure there are many threads but since we are discussing it.......... Thanks, Bags

A cord of hardwood weighs a lot more than a cord of softwood - more btus. Pellets are sold by the pound. Softwoods are actually slightly higher btu/lb. than hardwood ...... the pellets I have been burning for the last 3 - 4 years are a blend, around 70% hardwood/ 30% softwood last I knew. BUT they're made here in Maine, and they work fine in my St. Croix Revolution ...................

Type of softwood and type of hardwood used makes a difference....

This comparison is from 2012 and only has softwoods:
file:///C:/Users/Acer/Downloads/Wood%20Pellet%20Testing%202012%20(1).pdf

Another comparison 2011-2012 from Jay Takeman on the forum and has softwood, hardwood and blends (page 20 defines test conditions and stove used, page 19 has the overall averages heat/ash of pellets tested):
http://woodpellets4me.com/pdf/2011-2012-PelletReview.pdf

Enjoy the read:)

Status
Not open for further replies.