Getting ready for -26 tonite.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Twelve black locust splits getting ready to do their thing.
lol1.jpg

That sounds like some serious cold. That load should do it.

That's one pile of wood in that stove !
Right now it is -31 C with a wind chill of -41 C
and I am burning hard maple as if the supply was endless
It Is cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey (Google It)

Wish my black locust was seasoned! It will be a couple of years before I'll be burning it <>

Nice looking stuff. That's all I have been using this past week. We're in for another cold one here in Ohio. Stay warm ohlongarm.

Worked a 16 yesterday, got home at 11 last night and still had to plow out 4 driveways, I mixed up some coals in the stove and threw some thin splits of BL, plowed until 1230, came back in was greated to a 85 deg basement!!!
Just did my coal shuffle again and loaded up with some bigger BL, anticipating a 68-70 deg house through the night tonight with outside temps around minus 5 or so, windchill -25... absolutely love black locust

Yikes. I swear I won't complain about the rain any more!

I've been burning through a big pile of 4 year old red oak since the week before Christmas. Has been pretty brutal here in southern Maine, temps ranged from -8 to -25 every night for a week and a half. Managed to warm up for two days and we got a blizzard. Now back in the freezer for two days. High of zero today and getting down past -20 again tonight. I'm ready for spring already but I would take normal temps at this point.

Last edited:
Temps are suppose to warm up some (more normal levels) come mid next week, another arctic blast coming towards the end of the month.

The corrected link I posted shows the temps for NE Ohio on Friday morning at 6am (the coldest time period of Thursday night), when the OP mentioned it was going to be -26. My guess is he no longer lives in NE Ohio though, as it didn't even get close to the temp he mentioned it was going to be. It never really got to below 0° the whole week, really. ;lol

Last edited:
The corrected link I posted shows the temps for NE Ohio on Friday morning at 6am (the coldest time period of Thursday night), when the OP mentioned it was going to be -26. My guess is he no longer lives in NE Ohio though, as it didn't even get close to the temp he mentioned it was going to be. It never really got to below 0° the whole week, really. ;lol
I'm betting that's the wind chill temp. My home town is expecting wind chills in the minus teens so that's not too far off.

P.S. A little good news from Washington:
WINTER.gif

Geez its a heat wave here at 7 above. House is 80 so im trying to heat the whole state i guess.

Its minus 29+ in Minnesota, does he live there? we've only got down to minus 5 here so hasn't been that bad. Funny how 30 feels nice after a few days of single digits and below o.

We're at about 0 little colder in certain places but still cold. By end of the week we're going to be close to 50. Even the following week is pretty warm for this time of year. But I'm sure we will pay for it even with a warm up for a week or two, there is still a lot of winter left.

Reactions: coutufr
I'm betting that's the wind chill temp. My home town is expecting wind chills in the minus teens so that's not too far off.

P.S. A little good news from Washington:
View attachment 219930
We had a real -24::F again last night but we are up here where us fools live so it’s to be expected....lol but starting tomorrow it’s going to start warming up and by Wednesday it supposed to maybe even be above freezing so I would imagine then the rest of the country will get a reprieve from this arctic cold and snow. I’m just glad I’m not in Massachusetts or the other New England states this week, a few weeks ago I said that about Erie Pennsylvania lol. ==c

We had a real -24::F again last night but we are up here where us fools live so it’s to be expected....lol but starting tomorrow it’s going to start warming up and by Wednesday it supposed to maybe even be above freezing so I would imagine then the rest of the country will get a reprieve from this arctic cold and snow. I’m just glad I’m not in Massachusetts or the other New England states this week, a few weeks ago I said that about Erie Pennsylvania lol. ==c
Technically I live in The South but it sure doesn't feel like it. We're still on the plus side of 0 this morning but just barely. Not as bad as you or many others had it, I know, and I'm very grateful for that! But this should be the worst of it for a while...we'll be getting close to 60 by Friday. At least we got this cold snap in January, when you kind of expect it. Last year we had a super cold March--just when all the plants were trying to come out--following a "teaser" warm spell in February.

To bring this back to wood, we had one "warm" day (high 20s) last week that was the perfect time to move more wood into my garage staging area. I had planned to grab some 2+ year red oak but found that most of that was still a bit too damp. But it turns out I had stacked it on top of some maple that was now bone dry. So I did a little rearranging and brought all the dry stuff in. I meant to burn the maple last year but forgot about it. Wow, the stuff is so dry I bet I can light it just by staring at it hard enough! :p

yeah, you guys up north have had some bitter cold temps! Down here we have hit -15° a few times this winter, but that's about as cold as we have gotten so far.

Totally off topic...but at what point does it matter to humans-not to pipes and such. I mean, can you tell the difference between -20 and -30? Just curious. It never gets that cold here....we dipped to about -6 last week so not near what you guys get. I honestly have to turn the oil on when it gets in the low single digits. The house is too big and drafty and the stove can't quite keep up. was a balmy 49 in the house the other morning (oil burner was on the fritz for a few nights) I guess next stove will be one of those damn Blazekings, lol.

Totally off topic...but at what point does it matter to humans-not to pipes and such. I mean, can you tell the difference between -20 and -30? Just curious. It never gets that cold here....we dipped to about -6 last week so not near what you guys get. I honestly have to turn the oil on when it gets in the low single digits. The house is too big and drafty and the stove can't quite keep up. was a balmy 49 in the house the other morning (oil burner was on the fritz for a few nights) I guess next stove will be one of those damn Blazekings, lol.

Can you tell a difference between 20° and 30°? Add in wind and there's MORE of a difference in terms of how it feels once it gets below zero.

BTW, it never got down to -27° on that Thursday night if the OP lives in NE Ohio. He was lucky if it hit 10° (0° with wind chill) that night......lol

Gotta love people who flat out make $hit up just to get attention.