Getting ready to pull the Trigger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys both sound like great dealers, So far, my dealer has totally stepped up to the plate. This being said, I have not had any issues with my stove since they dialed it in. after that, I will be begging Mad Dog for help if something goes wrong! I would beg you other dudes also,ut I can't afford the gas money to get you to Cleveland
\
Just an edit...I mayhave had tooo many beers, not sure what happened to my font!!

Anytime..... And I hope you know it.

The other nasty thing to consider is that you will always need a 'non-solid' heating source for your house if you want to sell your house and the mortgage bank requires an evaluation. Here in NY its not possible to legally convert our house to pellts only (or wood stove only)...needs oil or Pain or NG (not sure about geothermal). stupid but thats what I was told...

It makes sense. If you walk on the house in the Winter they don't want a banker to have to fill a pellet stove every day.

The other nasty thing to consider is that you will always need a 'non-solid' heating source for your house if you want to sell your house and the mortgage bank requires an evaluation. Here in NY its not possible to legally convert our house to pellts only (or wood stove only)...needs oil or Pain or NG (not sure about geothermal). stupid but thats what I was told...

aside, no shortage of pellets visible any time soon, with the energy tax credit gone the stove bonanza seems over as well...so looking good. However, pellet stove needs cleaning once a year, if you dont do yourself it adds fixed costs. WIth your house size you might not burn much pellets, so you have some overhead cost to consider.

ANy chance for a free standing, I have an insert and happy with it due to space rstrictions - but otherwise free standing would be my preferred (actually I would go with a wood stove if I would do it again)

If you are interested in money spent only, a coal stove is actually dirt cheap (pun intended) other wise its usually NG>Coal>Pellet/wood>oil>electricity
This past year HUD changed the classification toward solid fuel to allow it as a primary heating source, not sure if this changes anything out your way for existing units but it does pave the way forward for automated pellet boilers.

Thanks for the feedback....Raynham MA BTW.
It sounds like you have the best of both worlds: A very efficient boiler and a pellet stove to make a serious dent in oil consumption. That's great. Good point too about buying pellets for the season. It's interesting you mention Buderus, my oil burner tech recommended a Buderus. Of course he's going to try and sell me on the Cadillac of boilers as opposed to a Toyota.

The two inserts I was looking at were the Harmon P35I and the Quadra Fire Classic Bay 1200I. With only 800 s.f. to heat, and an open floorplan, these two inserts will work. The previous owner installed a ceiling fan above the fireplace ( I know it looks out of place) in an effort to better distribute the fireplace heat. I was going to take the fan down, but I said, "what the heck", leave it up. I guess it could only help the insert to distribute heat as well.

Thanks again...

I would go with the P35i. I have one in my front to back split with an addition for about 1500 square feet on my upper levels. I keep the house a toasty 73 degrees for my mother in law and use less than 2 tons a year. you should also look up Scott (smwilliamson) and have him do your install he's the best out there and he can even set your Harman up with a true setback!

I would go with the P35i. I have one in my front to back split with an addition for about 1500 square feet on my upper levels. I keep the house a toasty 73 degrees for my mother in law and use less than 2 tons a year. you should also look up Scott (smwilliamson) and have him do your install he's the best out there and he can even set your Harman up with a true setback!
Thanks Fred....I haven't forgot about the Cascade, gimme a ring tomorrow, I need talk about the extended service plan we discussed.

For the set back, Did you put a programmable T-Stat on the room temperature probe? I believe that is the way it is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.