Getting woodpile ready for first year with OWB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockey

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2007
SW Ohio
Ok, so we moved in exactly 4 weeks ago. The place needed a lot of attention and first thing to do was get the cabin pressure washed and stain/sealed. That took a couple weeks. There were some rotten logs that needed replaced on the ipe deck and it needed to be pressure washed and sealed also. Now that all that is taken care of I have moved on to other projects like the wood pile. Luckily there were a few cords split already and seasoned. The rest of the pile has been sitting around for a year or two and I think it will be good with a few more months. If not itll wait til next year as I have over 100 standing dead ash trees on the property and quite a few on the ground that can burn this year.

I'll probably start burning soon because the OWB heats the domestic water and I sure hate spending any money on gas. We are planning on an inground pool next spring and I figure we can heat the pool as well. I have plenty of free wood and there is a tree service that drops off all the time. Heres to spending the rest of my life in our little slice of heaven.

IMG_20160905_112929717_zpshjjyyz0s.jpg IMG_20160911_130939909_zpsj6ysrfvd.jpg IMG_20160911_131030659_zpsaqehr8dt.jpg IMG_20160911_131142782_zps8lcw5hcd.jpg

I would say get a harbor freight cheapo moisture meter and anything under 25% burn it. Ideally you would want 20% or less but 25% will burn.

What brand OWB do you have?

Its a Central 5648, rated at 500K btus. Id like to to get a gasifier when it finally gives up the ghost but Im not sure they make one big enough to heat 10,000 sq ft. Thanks for the tip on the MM, I forgot to mention that I heated our last house with a catlytic insert and learned that well seasoned wood was worth it.

I almost forgot to post a picture of the rattlesnake that was curled up in a log that I split open. Its not often you find a rattler in SW Ohio but its the third one I found.

IMG_20160906_154329252_zpsn9djfyzv.jpg

Yikes!

I don't know SW Ohio at all - but I'm thinking that anyplace that has snakes like that doesn't have big cold in the winter? Am I wrong?

Its definitely not the great white north. We average around 1000 HDD for Dec-Feb

Rockey, that place is incredible. How long have you lived there?

Last edited:
Thanks! We just moved in about a month ago. Starting to feel like home.

Rocky,

This looks like the cabin that was posted last year that had the big emerald green pond below it. I am having a hard time finding the post. Same place or is my mind failing me....again?

ETA: I found it! A few more pics here in post #29 https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/i-need-to-learn-how-to-heat-again.155012/page-2

Beautiful home.

Yep, thats the one. I should have a Hearth,con house warming party and let you guys show me how to split some big ash rounds. Ill play stupid for afew hours.

did you split the snake with the round at the same time? Glad I only have black snakes and a rare copperhead

did you split the snake with the round at the same time? Glad I only have black snakes and a rare copperhead

He slithered out of the round after I split it and promptly picked a fight with my maul. To the victor go the spoils.

Status
Not open for further replies.