1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Give me the wood or don't. Just be honest.

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by blacktail, Dec 11, 2012.

1. blacktail

blacktail Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western WA
    In early October one of my neighbors came over and said he was having three douglas firs cut down sometime in December. The smallest was about 20" at the base, the largest about 36". He said I could have the wood. He specifically told me not to get wood anywhere else because his trees would be more than enough to fill all my storage space. My dad was at my house that day and heard the same thing I did.
    Last week, I walked over to his house to find out when the trees would be cut, just so I could be available to move it off his property and get it processed. Then, it turned more to a situation where I could have the tree next to my driveway and maybe another.
    The trees came down today and now he says I can take PART of the wood near my driveway and we'll see what's left from the other smaller one after he takes some for his occasional burning. The big one is going to be sold for $50 a truck load.
    It's his wood and he can sell it, burn it, give it away, or let it rot. I don't care. I just want to know. The bummer is that because his trees were offered to me, I passed up an opportunity to get a nearly unlimited amount of quality wood last month (also for free). That opportunity closed at the end of November.
    I'm not even gonna take any of the neighbor's fir now. I'll just tell him to sell it all. I don't want to deal with any headaches or feel like I'm pressuring him. By coincidence I have tomorrow off work and I thought I would use the day to get a bunch of wood moved off his property and split. I think I'll go fishing instead.
    I have lots of opportunities to get firewood so it's not an issue of going without.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. albert1029

albert1029 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwestern PA
    what a bummer...I think I'd do the same and pass on his offer...
  3. Cross Cut Saw

Cross Cut Saw Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    The City of Ships, Bath, Maine
    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Good idea not to take any of the wood he has, now it has a value attached to it and you don't want to be in "debt" to him, just smile and wave when you see him...
  4. blacktail

Loc:
    Western WA
    Good point about the wood having a value now.
  5. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Walk away & dont look back.
  6. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    Sorry it did not work out for you. I think you have the right idea of not going after any of it now. If he brings it to you and drops it off in your yard, then take it. Otherwise, remember he is your neighbor and always good to be on good terms with them. Not worth losing any sleep or friendship over. Annoying. Yes. I hear ya.
  7. Elderthewelder

Elderthewelder Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Everett, Washington
    I would be interested is seeing how long it takes him to sell it at $50 a truck load, I see that alot on Seattle C/L and they always say standard 8' long bed with no sideboards, and they keep re-posting for weeks because the cant sell it, not alot of people want to buy green unseasoned wood IMO
    mfglickman likes this.
  8. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    So if you wait long enough and he realizes how much work it is and that he can't sell the wood you can charge him to "clean up" his yard. Then if he complains you can negotiate down to doing it for free. That way he won't think you owe him anything.
  9. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Sadly, the world is full of asshats like this who's oxygen intake should be taxed.

As others have said, walk away w/out a single stick, and make due elsewhere. Something will pop up.

pen
    Hearth Mistress, chvymn99 and jharkin like this.
  10. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    With neighbors like that......
  11. Boom Stick

Boom Stick Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Capital Region, NY
    build a fence. I would have zero use for my neighbor if he did that. My word to my neighbor is worth more than 50 bucks a truckload
    chvymn99, Boog, NH_Wood and 2 others like this.
  12. blacktail

Loc:
    Western WA
    I haven't had any problems with this neighbor since I moved in over a year ago. I don't see him much and there's a small patch of woods between our houses, but he and his wife have always been pleasant when I do see them. This situation just feels awkward now. The only thing I'll have to say to him about the wood now is that he should sell it all to recoup some of his costs. Maybe he'll get the hint when I don't pick up any of the rounds laying by my driveway.
    Backwoods Savage and geoff1969 like this.
  13. tbuff

tbuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central NJ
    This is why I have nice big fences around my property and why I only say hi and bye to neighbors... Someone always thinks they're doing you a favor, sorry for the bad news.
    Boom Stick likes this.
  14. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    I'd just tell him you pass. Not make it an issue at all.
    Maybe he'll get it bucked up & if he can't sell it , give it to you next year

I never let someone changing their mind change mine.
    If you think he's an OK guy, leave it at that
    & let him handle the wood, then you at least stay talking to each other. ;)

Good luck :)
    AJS56, DeerHunter and firefighterjake like this.
  15. Oregon Bigfoot

Oregon Bigfoot Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest Oregon
    The winter steelhead are starting. Go fishing, that's what I would do.
    Boom Stick likes this.
  16. geoff1969

geoff1969 Member

Loc:
    australia
    i reckon i would pass on it if , you can get wood else where just tell him you can obtain basicaly unlimited supply through your contacts and tell him he would be better off selling it to recoupe his costs as you mentioned , or give it to some one who hasnt got the guaranteed resources ..
  17. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    I've been thinking about this. I've had a couple rotten neighbors in my life. I would probably take the rounds he put out by our driveway, say thanks for them and then let it go. Not sure why he pulled the stunt on you, but not taken them and being bigger then him (by saying thanks) it will just add fuel to the fire and since he's probably not going anywhere, why make the situation worse?
  18. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I wouldn't say I don't want it or won't take it - saying 'just keep your wood then' might also add to the hard feelings thing. I'd just tell him to just let you know when he's done selling/whatever, and then you'll be by to cleanup/pickup the leftovers.

Lesson two: don't pass on free wood (the November chance/offer) no matter how much you think you won't need it.
  19. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Even though he changed his mind about giving you some,that's still better than a "neighbor" stealing wood from your stack over the fence....;)
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  20. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    let him sit on the wood that he is trying to sell for awhile and when he finds he still has it, he'll be asking you to take it then
  21. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I agree.....I'd pass....respectfully
  22. MnDave

MnDave Guest

Moral of the story... Don't pass up any opportunity to get wood, even if you have to pay a little for it. It is always great to be ahead and to be burning very seasoned wood.

I would not come down overly hard on your neighbor as this will cause you hard feelings. If need be, give him a little s^&( but with a smile. Maybe he will make it up to you in another way.

Some people are prone to changing their minds once they think hard about something. Personally I would have honored that commitment to you because I would have thought about it carefully before I offered it.

Don't make mistake number 2. Take what is left that he will give you. Shake hands and work on your friendship with him.

MnDave
  23. blacktail

Loc:
    Western WA
    It could be that he offered me the wood without the knowledge of his wife and maybe she didn't like the idea of giving it all away. Whatever the reason, it would have been nice if he was open about it. For now, if he has any second thoughts about me taking it, then I don't want it. Any efforts on my part to try and get it makes me feel like I'm pressuring him. I'll take easy stuff that close to home, but I actually enjoy getting it from some of my other sources anyway.

My dad went and cut a few truckloads of the wood I could have got last month. It's mostly fir that's been down for a long time. The moisture level on some of it is already under 20% :eek:

I'm leaving for the river in about 20 minutes.
    AJS56 likes this.
  24. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Agree....Wait and see what happens next! (He may come knocking on your door) Oh I just got a massive pignut hickory (Another truck only) for this Sunday. ;)
    Thistle likes this.
  25. MnDave

MnDave Guest

blacktail,
    Yep, I was not insinuating that you were burning spring pine (and I edited that out).

I am the one who has not been ahead and burning wood cut in the spring so my comment was in general for people like me.

I hooked up with a logger and plan to get at least 2 seasons ahead.

I have neighbor issues where I live. I am the new guy. There are a lot of things I would have done differently if I had a crystal ball.

MnDave