glass gasket for unknown stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dillio

Dec 14, 2014
Minnesota
hi all. Yea, I know, another gasket question. I've spent the last couple of hours reading search responses but haven't found an exact answer to my issue.

I have an unknown stove (was in the house when we purchased it, I included a photo of the front) and it's time to go over the doors. They're leaking badly from the rope seal gaskets, and also the glass. I removed the doors today, and it looks like somebody used some sort of clear rubber silicone on the whole thing. On the lower part of the doors, the silicone is heat blasted into some sort of hard white material that is flaking off, while the upper parts of the doors are still clear and pliable. They used the same material for the seal between the glass and the door itself. I removed the upper brackets holding the glass, and both pieces literally fell right out.

I think there is supposed to be an actual gasket between the glass and the door. Where can I get this, or should I just make due and use high temp RTV again? I see there are some various nomex style high temp adhesive gaskets on Amazon that are meant for use in BBQ smokers. Thanks for any advice or identification on the stove. I'm guessing it's early to mid 1990's vintage as that's when our living room was remodeled and the stove added.

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 71
Take one or both doors to your local hearth shop. They should be able to help you get what you need.

That's probably the best thing to do. If you cant get them off, measuring the depth of the channel will get you real close.

oh I have them off already, old gaskets removed, and all cleaned up with a wire brush. I've already put new rope gaskets on, I just need to know what to do with the glass. I ordered some window glass gaskets made by a company called Perkins to try.

They are saying to take the door and glass in to a local company so they can get you the correct size/type of gasket for glass and let you know how it goes on.