Glass gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steadyj_17

Dec 18, 2015
ottawa
Am I crazy In thinking my glass gasket is leaking? Bottom left corner of my stove seems to develop a soot. Not thick but noticeable. The gasket looks like it could be push down a little on the inside. But not sure if I can un screw the clamp and tuck it down.

Attachments

• 20161206_232246.jpg
    20161206_232246.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
I periodically check the alignment of my glass panels (I have two doors on my Jotul F600) and gaskets. If they have shifted a little I'll loosen one or more of the clips and center things back up. I imagine you could do the same with your stove. However, you probably want to pay close attention to how tight you tighten the bolts back up. I estimated from how much force it took to loosen the bolts and tried to use a similar amount when I tightened them back up.

As far as the black soot in the corner(s) I don't know if that is caused by a misaligned or loose gasket. I've had soot gather in the lower corners of my stove and then they burn completely away when I have a hot fire going. My guess is the soot is most likely from wood with higher than optimal moisture or from burning fires that aren't as hot as necessary to burn off the soot accumulation. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.