Glass gets black

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing goes in my stove that's 15% or over on the MM. I still get nasty glass. But I do have an older stove. From time to time if it gets smokey in the firebox I can see the airwash pattern in the smoke, and no, not the most effective in the world. You're doin' good Stan, get those cats in there and I think you'll be happy.

In my old VC Resolute, when the glass gets smoked up, I commando clean it:

A little newspaper in H20, then get a little ash from inside the stove or from the stove bucket. Scrub. Wipe clean, throw paper in stove.

Clean glass ;)

bmwloco said:
In my old VC Resolute, when the glass gets smoked up, I commando clean it:

A little newspaper in H20, then get a little ash from inside the stove or from the stove bucket. Scrub. Wipe clean, throw paper in stove.

Clean glass ;)

Yep the best method period =)

HotCoals said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Glass cooler with a cat is right. That does not mean the glass will turn black though. At least our glass has not turned black. Exception was during initial burn-in. Got a bit black then but disappeared on next fire and has not had any black since.
You sir probably have a really good air wash system..BKK..not so much.

My High valley cat stove will not turn black on glass unless a wetter piece is place really close, like within inches, of the glass. The lower corners will kid of darken on low cruise with semi dry wood. I have no problem with clear glass on mine. Most will wipe off with a paper towel when i go to reload, the rest i can get to burn off. My glass stays srystal clear!!

HotCoals said:
davidmc said:
I believe it has to do with airwash. My Buck 91 get smoked up in the lower right hand corner. Flawed airwash says I.
Other than that I love the 12 to 14 hour load with the 4.3cu ft cat firebox!!!
What gets burnt on mine will not burn off with 2000 degree catalyst temps....go figure..
Razor blade works wonders.....

David
That's all you get out of that size box..you can't be talking shoulder season.
10 fer on the razor blade scrapers!

Im thinking the same thing! i can get 12-14 hours of heat out of my 3.4 cuft firbox cat stove.

my stove always has some black on the glass. i used to keep it clean, now I dont care much... never been able to burn it off, doesnt matter how dry the wood is. Seems to be the nature of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.