Glass Staining

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

emsflyer84

Sep 12, 2011
Central NH
Hey all, I know this has been discussed before, but I can’t seem to get this off. Came home from work today after leaving the stove going to find this staining. I tried the wet newspaper and ash trick, no luck. I don’t think you’re supposed to use glass cleaner on this glass, but I’m not sure. Any other ideas? Thanks.
IMG_3728.jpegIMG_3729.jpeg

The glass might look similar to that after running my BK for a day or two at its lowest air setting. Running it for a few hours on a medium or higher setting clears it up. The deposit on the glass is the price for a long, slow fire. Cleaning it manually would be a near-daily chore until the weather gets cold enough to use hotter fires most of the time. Is the appearance of the glass particularly important?

The glass might look similar to that after running my BK for a day or two at its lowest air setting. Running it for a few hours on a medium or higher setting clears it up. The deposit on the glass is the price for a long, slow fire. Cleaning it manually would be a near-daily chore until the weather gets cold enough to use hotter fires most of the time. Is the appearance of the glass particularly important?
Not particularly important, I’m just particular about it, being pretty new. I’ll burn a hot fire and see if some burns off.

So try the damp paper towel and ash. Make a slurry let it sit a minute, adjitating it enough to keep it wet. Then dip back into the ash and scrub it again. Repeat until clean.

I use Meeco's Red Devil Conditioning glass cleaner. When it is real thick like you have I use a razor blade scraper to remove it most of it.
I would question why you are getting the build up. It would bother me. What is your stove? I do not see it listed in your signature.
Is your wood dry?

Don't give up so easily with the damp newspapers dipped in ashes. You can see the improvement already from your before and after pics.

1697294278903.png

Try Spray Nine, Fireplace Cleaner. It was called Fireview years ago, Still an excellent glass cleaner. A spray and in a few minutes it will take off anything.