Glowing red...dark shade of orange?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky

Nov 4, 2010
Buffalo, NY
My left Sid door, when lookingat the stove fom the front, will sometimes glow...

Yet my pipe temps are in the 300+f range.... From pipe temp alone, nothing to worry about...

All my air inlets are closed inc the teardrop... Doors are shut (not latched, the latch broke off, I use a brick and a special rod which fits under the new handle I retrofitted which is 'jammed' against a bolt in the floor). Anyways, there is absolutely NO WAY those doors will open... It's more secure than the latch..

Anyhow, I'm sitting here in my shop looking at my stove, and 3/4 of the
Eft door is glowing. All air inlets are closed, stove pipe temp at 18" above the stove reads 385f

Thoughts?

I'm burning mixed hardwood,that was seasoned one year, then 'kiln dried' in my shed all summer... And 18mo seasoned black locust.

Oh and the majority of it is coals.. I'm top loading cause the stove is literally 1/2 full of coals

Door's glowing because it has a pile of red hot coals up against it. I would glow then too.

Get a stove that isn't busted. >>

This happened to me recently. The gasket around the glass/door had deteriorated and was letting air under causing uncontrolled burn right at the door. Ash Fettle and door was glowing red. Replaced gasket and no longer glows. Although pretty when red hot the fettle warped. Stove likely a 300* but I bet much higher at the door.

Also, be aware of how the air enters the firebox in a Vig. There are a bunch of holes in the fireback, but also there is a tube at the bottom edge of the left side of the firebox. IF the holes in the fireback are sufficiently obstructed, then ALL the air comes through that air tube, DIRECTLY onto the left door. It would be worth looking carefully at those holes!! And yeah, fix the doors and be sure they're properly gasketed.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Status
Not open for further replies.