GM 60 - Am I missing a primary air intake control gasket? pics/docs included. Keen eyes needed to solve issue.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cabinwarmer

Burning Hunk
Sep 11, 2020
SE PA
Good Day, I have had a very strong draft since installation 16 months ago. I believe I may have found an issue. The Lower Primary Air Opening (LPAO)
seems to be missing a gasket. Hearthstone sent me, via the dealership, a new LPAO unit. I have email saying this was one of the possible causes for not getting enough air to the fire (as some others owners have complained about). That is not my issue, mine is the opposite, possibly. Please take a look at the pics/docs attached. The tech spec clearly shows two rope gaskets (step #2) . It also refers to two rope gaskets in the text of the instructions. My stove picture, clearly shows no gasket at all. Missed at installation? I have also enclosed the new LPAO from Hearthstone. I have not removed the LPAO unit yet. I have called the dealer, but think this might be a deeper issue that requires a bit more detail then a phone call. Also, see the new LPAO shipped to me from Hearthstone. I am trying to better understand if the two rope gaskets are missing, will that allow for more air intake then desired when the primary is closed/partial closed.

Is it possible that the tech bulletin is saying to not re-install the two rope gaskets? Was that the original "blockage" of air for the stoves that had low air issues? The tech bulletin never says to replace the two rope gaskets. If that is true, then my stove is already correct?

Thanks for taking a minute to take a look. Stove is apart and I am really hoping to finalized this over draft issue.

Dave

IMG_1992.jpg IMG_1993.jpg IMG_1994.jpg

Attachments

• hearthstone-tds96-88000-green-mountain-40-60-and-80-lower-primary-air-opening-kit.pdf
    187.1 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
worth a try. Should be a fairly minor project to swap them, i would think. I suppose you could test it by jamming some scrap rope gasket in the groove around your existing/current LPAO and then run the stove. If draft is more in control, then swap the LPAO's.

I just saw another issue with the tech spec. Look at the pictures, one pic shows the unit with the top portion open (pic 3), and the next picture shows the unit as a solid piece (pic 4). Does that mean the original unit in the stove was open? Mine is solid.