Gnarly Old Sugar Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Decided that I would run up top and grab a load of gnarly old sugar maple then start stacking the last two face cord up front. This is the second year since I cut and split this.

Picture 100_1737 is the pile I'm starting to bring out,1738 is the old sugar maple it came from,1739 is what is left of the branch that fell off,1740 is the trailer loaded up ready to go and 1745 is the load stacked.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1737.jpg
    100_1737.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 501
  • 100_1738.jpg
    100_1738.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 502
  • 100_1739.jpg
    100_1739.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 491
  • 100_1740.jpg
    100_1740.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 495
  • 100_1743.jpg
    100_1743.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 500
  • 100_1745.jpg
    100_1745.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 484
I love finding old gnarly maples! Mainly because I know my father-in-law won't cut them because they're not straight enough for the mills to take!

You guys have some great looking property Zap! Reminds me a lot of where I cut.

ikessky said:
I love finding old gnarly maples! Mainly because I know my father-in-law won't cut them because they're not straight enough for the mills to take!

You guys have some great looking property Zap! Reminds me a lot of where I cut.

Ikessky this was one of the gnarliest I bucked up and split, we lucked out getting this land and we make sure we enjoy it.

Thanks
Zap

The rest of that tree looks like it will be nice wildlife habitat for a long time.

Skier76 it was nice that I got back in to get a load of wood during the week, soon it will be weekends only.

Solar the rest of the tree has seen better days so it will make a good home for wildlife.

zap

zapny said:
Skier76 it was nice that I got back in to get a load of wood during the week, soon it will be weekends only.
With the crappy weather that we just got for the past couple of days, I don't think I'll get back out until it freezes. Luckily, I think I already have next year's wood bucked up and sitting by my piling hill. I have about half of next year's supply split and stacked. Not nearly where I would like to be in my supply though. The wet weather really hurt me this year.

AP thanks, have you fired up the kiln lately?

ikessky, it has been raining here for much of October but because our soil is mostly sand I can still cut in most areas, how bad was the wind?

zap

Sustained it was probably 20-30mph. We had gusts of 60-70mph though. Lots of people without power last night. I can't believe the willow in my yard made it through!

ikessky said:
Sustained it was probably 20-30mph. We had gusts of 60-70mph though. Lots of people without power last night. I can't believe the willow in my yard made it through!

The willow made it, like Casey would say amazin,amazin, amazin.

zap

zap, I have to take some pics this weekend for ya. I felt like a "mini zap"...I was using my quad and trailer to haul some wood and I created a staging area in the woods up behind the house. It's sorta like your setup....but about 1/1600th of the scale....or at least volume of firewood. :lol:

Skier76 said:
zap, I have to take some pics this weekend for ya. I felt like a "mini zap"...I was using my quad and trailer to haul some wood and I created a staging area in the woods up behind the house. It's sorta like your setup....but about 1/1600th of the scale....or at least volume of firewood. :lol:

I'm looking forward to the pictures, you did a nice job on your bridge. My staging area usually ends up at the area I'm working in a pile, this weekend it's either bucking up a downed cherry that my neighbor wants removed from some property he is selling or the beech and sugar maple on our property that the last wind storm brought down. (about two weeks ago)

zap

How many cords do you have put up already zap?

ikessky said:

I think it works out that we have just over 53 face cord stacked, I'll have to convert that over to cords.

I'm thinking over 16 cord, my stacks are 192 inches long, 48 inches high and 14.75 inches wide. I have 26 stacks that size, please correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.hayknee.com/calc.html

zap

Zap,
You have cut way to much wood to be using that useless measurement called a face cord. Yours are 14.75" (Give me a break. You cut to a 1/4" measurement) Somebody else cuts to 22". His FACE CORD is a lot more wood than yours is. Yet they are both a face cord. If you state every thing in cord measurements, then it is 128 cubic feet or a fraction thereof.
Al

P.S. I do admire all the cutting, hauling out, splitting & stacking you have done.

zapny said:
Skier76 said:

I'm looking forward to the pictures, you did a nice job on your bridge. My staging area usually ends up at the area I'm working in a pile, this weekend it's either bucking up a downed cherry that my neighbor wants removed from some property he is selling or the beech and sugar maple on our property that the last wind storm brought down. (about two weeks ago)

zap

It's nice to have that area up in the woods to stage. Our actual "yard" in VT isn't that big. Most of the land we have is woods. So to free up some yard space is a nice bonus. And that's primarily the reason I built the bridge....so I could move wood and other stuff to the back part of the property easily.

We only own about an acre, so we have to be pretty efficient with what we have.

lobsta1 said:
Zap,
You have cut way to much wood to be using that useless measurement called a face cord. Yours are 14.75" (Give me a break. You cut to a 1/4" measurement) Somebody else cuts to 22". REALLY ! :zip: His FACE CORD is a lot more wood than yours is. Yet they are both a face cord. If you state every thing in cord measurements, then it is 128 cubic feet or a fraction thereof.
Al

P.S. I do admire all the cutting, hauling out, splitting & stacking you have done.

16 inches is close to the glass, 15 inches gives you some room but the 14.75 I won't worry about the wood falling into the glass. Seems like the face cord thing bothers people so CORD it is.

Zap

zapny said:
ikessky said:

I think it works out that we have just over 53 face cord stacked, I'll have to convert that over to cords.

I'm thinking over 16 cord, my stacks are 192 inches long, 48 inches high and 14.75 inches wide. I have 26 stacks that size, please correct me if I'm wrong.

zap

that comes to 16 cord

zapny said:
Seems like the face cord thing bothers people so CORD it is.

That's a big step for someone from our part of the country.

SolarAndWood said:
zapny said:
Seems like the face cord thing bothers people so CORD it is.

That's a big step for someone from our part of the country.

Ya, Solar did you find out what type of wood that was your neighbor brought over.

zap

I thought we had consensus until AuthoritativeLEE weighed in.

SolarAndWood said:
I thought we had consensus until AuthoritativeLEE weighed in.

The wood was thrown at CLIFFLEE pretty good last night.

zap

I highLEE doubt that happened in the wood shed.

Got Wood said:
zapny said:
ikessky said:

zap

that comes to 16 cord

Thanks Got Wood, how is the weather your way. The cold weather will be moving back in today with some wind.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.