Gnarly Wood ID, Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougand3

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2008
North Alabama
Neighbor had 1/4 cord of rounds on a trailer in front of his house with FREE WOOD sign. What the heck, I'll try some. Whew doggies...even 1 foot long, 1 foot diameter rounds are murder with a 12# maul. Gnarly, gnarly, gnarly. What is it? T woodID1.jpg hanks, Doug

It looks like Red Maple to me, although the dark center is a little too dark. Any tree with a lot of branches, such as shade trees and yard trees, can be very gnarly.

silver maple is my vote-good score!

Never seen Silver with Dark Heart Wood...

Im thinkin Red Maple too.

If it was out in the middle of his yard (stand alone) its gonna be a lot harder than a straight growing tree in the woods/forest.

Smell? I can't call it anything specific but "fresh". Splitting wise - it's 10x harder than southern pine. Those half rounds above? There aren't getting smaller. LOL. This acts like some sweetgum I once tried and said no thanks.

Thats why I though about pine, it can be difficult to split.
pine to me smells like the lumber center at lowes or menards. LOL
Smell can be an important identifier for the woods we scrounge.
chuck

It's not Silver Maple and not pine for sure. My vote is for Cottonwood. Very tough to split unless it sits around for awhile. The dark streak in the center and the bark tell it all!

If it was cotton wood it would probably stink. I vote for some kind of maple. Bark don't look right to me for cottenwood.

Wood looks like red maple but bark doesn't. I'm thinking maybe a type of hickory...

Reactions: smokinj
Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.