Going back to oil Sunday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're running the AC in the same room as the stove then moisture is not an issue.

rowerwet said:
ssman said:
How about coating the inside with WD-40?
WD40 is a penetrant oil it doesn't coat and stay in place, (it was made to displace water in electrical wires) try a quality slicone spray, or some type of oil that won't evaporate. (at work we have LPS-1 penetrant (evaporates), -2 lube (doesn't dry), -3 protector (dries to a waxy coating) they are made for aerospace industry.

I did spray a little WD40. I will look for something better.
Thanks for all the tips,
Mike -

WD 40 is water based and will wear off a bit and not be as good for the most part.

I have good luck following the manufacturers instructions of stove paint....works well.

I don't want to sound like a smart a$$ but there is a lot of "voodoo science" out there about how to best protect our pellet stoves from corrosion. WD-40 is not water based. It is a petroleum based oil. As a matter of fact, WD stands for "water displacement". This product also contains some anti-corrosion ingredients so it is pretty effective at rust prevention. It remains effective even after it appears to dry away.
No, I do not work for WD-40 but am involved in R & D for the metalworking industry. We spend tens of thousands of dollars on rust prevention every year so I consider myself an expert on the subject. Glad to pass on what I have learned.

I agree with BDPVT....I also do not work for WD-40 but when I store my boats, snowmobiles, lawnmowers ect. I always throw a LIGHT film of WD on the motors and other components and they always come out of storage dry,corrosion/rust free year after year. Even after many months whatever I have stored still is reasonable wet/protected. I have even sprayed some on vehicle engine compartments including the motor(try to stay away from exhaust though:)) to get them shiney and protected after a thorough spring engine degrease/salt removal. I swear by it year after year and will do my stove up in a few weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.