Going to buy PE summit tomorrow unless I can be talked out of it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oldspark said:
SKIN052 said:
Did you get the plate in? If so take a pic so I can be sure mine is right, please..........stupid plate!!!!
Skin where have you been all summer, I thought we had that taken care of last spring. :)
Been a busy man all summer. Working like a dog at work and at home. Built a garage and a big old tree house and did a crap load of fishing and drinking (stupid Salmon). Things are starting to slow down now though, new job, less headaches. Life is good.

As for that plate, I still kinda had my doubts, until i read Madison's link. Thanks.

I will be posting a few pics of an old stove I just picked up (free) for my man cave. Needs work so guess who I am going to ask!!!! All you guys and gals.

madison said:
it just rests on the bottom lip of the stove front, with its on weight holding it in place, there should be two pins that keep it from migrating into the firebox.

see this pic for help, https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/373144/

The six holes will face towards the back of the firebox.
Again, I am sure I have it in the right place (99.9%). The problem for me is, what the heck is the point of it? It just sits there? Laying directly over top of 6 more holes already in the frame of the stove? I just don't see how these holes are never plugged?

oldspark said:
tommybro said:
still can't figure it out, any way I position it it seems loose, very fustrating

Now there is a man that burns that sucker hot. Or he just bought new bricks.

Are you talking about my picture, that stove has never been that hot, only had it about 2 months burn time.

SKIN052 said:
madison said:
it just rests on the bottom lip of the stove front, with its on weight holding it in place, there should be two pins that keep it from migrating into the firebox.

see this pic for help, https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/373144/

The six holes will face towards the back of the firebox.
Again, I am sure I have it in the right place (99.9%). The problem for me is, what the heck is the point of it? It just sits there? Laying directly over top of 6 more holes already in the frame of the stove? I just don't see how these holes are never plugged?

It actually makes a nice ledge to prop the wood on when loaded N/S which allows some air to get under the wood, i believe it helps distribute the air E/W within the firebox.... it does collect the ash, so whenever i do clean out the firebox, i lift the manifold out and remove some of the accumulated ash...

OK, I got it in correctly, thanks to all who posted pics etc, now feel kinda silly it even looks like it goes there once you see it in there lol

Now, I have to fire it up and make sure I have that top plate in correctly, I had taken that out during the install and it seemed like during my test burn ( I did not get it especially hot ) that it was not correct and I assume that there is no way to test it with the fire not on.

Love the insert though and I am sure it will kick butt during the burning season, even the test fire seemed a lot hotter than the winterwarm ever was

tommybro said:
OK, I got it in correctly, thanks to all who posted pics etc, now feel kinda silly it even looks like it goes there once you see it in there lol

Now, I have to fire it up and make sure I have that top plate in correctly, I had taken that out during the install and it seemed like during my test burn ( I did not get it especially hot ) that it was not correct and I assume that there is no way to test it with the fire not on.

Love the insert though and I am sure it will kick butt during the burning season, even the test fire seemed a lot hotter than the winterwarm ever was

Are you taking about the baffle on top?

A lot of things can contribute to the secondaries not working even if installed correctly, a small fire would be one of them.

There is really only one way that the baffle is going to "fit" when it's sitting in the back channel (hint..when cleaning chimney remove baffle first, then cover back channel with some aluminum foil untl you are done sweeping).

And OS is correct, it takes a bit for a smaller fire to engage the manifold, if it even does. Once it's a midsize or better fire, the secondaries are quite a show :)

There is a small gasket that goes around the secondary air feed tube. It seals up the contact surface with the baffle box. Be sure the gasket is in there.

There should be secondary burning with a 3 split fire once the fire is going strong, surface temp of the stove is above about 350 and then the primary air is reduced to the point just before the fire dies down.

BeGreen said:
There is a small gasket that goes around the secondary air feed tube. It seals up the contact surface with the baffle box. Be sure the gasket is in there. If so, you should see secondary burning with a 3 split fire once the fire is going strong and then the primary air is reduced to the point just before the fire dies down.
I am going to bug you all winter long :lol:, at what temp (stove top) should the secondaries start to work?

I paid $2450 for a Summit Insert with a Gold door and 25 feet of flex liner in 2007. Everybody here thought I got a really good deal then. I think you got a good deal now. Oh, and you will love that stove.

oldspark said:
BeGreen said:
There is a small gasket that goes around the secondary air feed tube. It seals up the contact surface with the baffle box. Be sure the gasket is in there. If so, you should see secondary burning with a 3 split fire once the fire is going strong and then the primary air is reduced to the point just before the fire dies down.
I am going to bug you all winter long :lol:, at what temp (stove top) should the secondaries start to work?

That depends on a complex alignment of sun, planetary and moon conjunctions. I charge $250 for a consultation if you are so inclined.

My secondaries must not have worked because I had a small fire because I was excited it was in and the excuse I made to the wife was I wanted to get the paint smell burned out while we could open the windows and get the smell out without freezing.

The stuff I burned was just the crate that it came in, nothing fancy, I did not want to start to waste the good wood I have stored for the winter

tommybro said:
My secondaries must not have worked because I had a small fire because I was excited it was in and the excuse I made to the wife was I wanted to get the paint smell burned out while we could open the windows and get the smell out without freezing.

The stuff I burned was just the crate that it came in, nothing fancy, I did not want to start to waste the good wood I have stored for the winter
I hope you enjoy it, this will be my first season with a Summit. I had it installed late in the season last year so I do not have any idea what I am really in store for, but I am very optimistic. I have had it going full bore and and then turn down the air low and the secondaries make the stove looks like the bowels of hell!!!!

third season with my Summit pedestal. If there is one thing that makes me still like winter, it's stacking wood, cleaning and prepping my chimney and stove, and cranking it up when the night temps dip to enjoy the cheap, and awesome heating power all season long.

Ahhhhh ... put your feet up and relax, winters here, the Summit will keep your home as warm as you like, even if the power goes out.

The simple pleasures in life. Hot toddy by the fire anyone! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.