1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

"Gong" sound from my insert--what is it?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by MetMan, Mar 10, 2012.

1. MetMan

MetMan Member

Loc:
    Western New York
    This is new this year. Sometimes after about an hour after starting the first fire of he morning I hear a pretty loud "gong" sound from the insert. I assume it's the liner and the cause is contraction after the initial high temps. Just heard it again today about three hours after starting a warm box.

Any ideas what this might be?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mikesin

mikesin Member

Loc:
    Pa
    Hi, our Super 27 makes a "gong" sound often. I can tell you the flue temp. (range) when it starts. At 500* to 600* and back down. Our installer told us this is normal, then again, in our case its the wood burner itself. Are you positive that its not burner and is the liner?
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The next time the stove is completely cooled down inspect the welds carefully to make sure nothing has broken loose.
  4. ridensnow23

ridensnow23 Member

Loc:
    Western PA
    I agree, it is being caused by expansion and contraction of the metal. My SS chimney cap does the same when it heats up. You need to try to figure out where it is coming from though.
  5. aansorge

aansorge Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Minnesota
    My fireplace gongs too. I'm used to it. Does it about 10 minutes into morning restarts.
  6. tcassavaugh

tcassavaugh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    i used to watch the GONG show....does that count? (those are hours of my life i'll never get back). probably do to expansion and contraction.

cass