Gonna be stoveless for a couple years

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingquad

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 17, 2010
Pennsylvania
We just accepted an offer on our house, and the Enviro is staying. I had a small suburban lot that was stacked with about 5 cords. I gave all but a cord and a half to friends and family who burn, and left some for the new owners.

For the short time that I had it, I was very pleased/impressed with the insert and wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone looking for a med/largish insert to fit a cramped fireplace. No complaints at all.

I'm currently in the middle of the short sale process for our new house, and my closing date has been kicked back 3 times. Major PITA.

As far as the new place, it's about 2900 sqft and has an old ZC fireplace that will eventually be torn out in favor of a freestanding or EPA rated ZC fireplace. I'm leaning more toward freestanding though. From the current looks of things (judging by the chase size), I wouldn't be able to install the stove I really want, an Equinox. The alcove wouldn't be big enough. The wife isn't a fan of traditional steel or cast stoves, so the BKK and Buck 91 are out. So I'm leaning toward the Summit Classic in red/nickel or the Mansfield.

At this point this is all just speculation, cause I won't know what I'm working with till the ZC comes out. Also, the first thing I'm doing when/if we get this place is put in a new high efficiency gas furnace cause the old one is shot. Plus some time/money will be spent sealing and shoring up some insulation deficiencies in the new house before the stove goes in.

I still have an NC-30 sitting in storage that I may try to convince my wife is a "temporary" solution, but she's not a fan of the looks. I'll probably just sell it in September and get back what I bought it for. I'll still be hanging around cause this stuff interests me.

I feel for you, we sold our house last summer, had to liquidate my 8 cord of scrounged wood in the process. wasn't about to move that as well as the contents of my house! sold about 5 cord to neighbors and coworkers sold the rest to the new owners @ 100 bucks a cord. not bad, not great

spent this past winter in our new house with no stove just expensive oil heat... just got a deal on a new/used F500. cant wait till this coming winter!

I feel for you, we sold our house last summer, had to liquidate my 8 cord of scrounged wood in the process. wasn't about to move that as well as the contents of my house! sold about 5 cord to neighbors and coworkers sold the rest to the new owners @ 100 bucks a cord. not bad, not great

spent this past winter in our new house with no stove just expensive oil heat... just got a deal on a new/used F500. cant wait till this coming winter!
Congrats on the Oslo. At least you got some cash for your efforts. I told my family/friends that their houses better be warm when I visit;)

I'm hoping that I can get the necessary improvements (there are many) done in this new place quickly. At least gas is really cheap in my area.

That was really nice of you to give your wood away. I hope you get into the new home soon and get back burning wood ASAP! (Pics!) :( makes me sad thinking about not being able to burn wood:(

:( makes me sad thinking about not being able to burn wood:(
Me too. Nice thing is that once we get in I'll start working on my wood supply. I want to be three years ahead before I even start my stove install.

Hang in there. I'm betting that by January the Englander is going to look more attractive, especially if it's only temporary. ;)

Hang in there. I'm betting that by January the Englander is going to look more attractive, especially if it's only temporary. ;)
Problem is that my wood supply won't be dry enough, so it definitely won't happen this upcoming burn season. Also, I have to do a complete kitchen remodel. Money is going to be tight. I really want a nice stone hearth and will need wall shields, which I would like to do out of durock and stone veneer. I'm willing to wait to get the hearth the way I want. If the hearth is done and is sitting there empty, then the Englander will get put into action. I think this will be an easier sell now that the wife likes wood heat. We shall see...

If your wife is anything like mine she's going to be freezing this coming winter trying to rely on gas heat. She'll be begging you to install the NC30 by Christmas.

Reactions: n3pro
Problem is that my wood supply won't be dry enough, so it definitely won't happen this upcoming burn season. Also, I have to do a complete kitchen remodel. Money is going to be tight. I really want a nice stone hearth and will need wall shields, which I would like to do out of durock and stone veneer. I'm willing to wait to get the hearth the way I want. If the hearth is done and is sitting there empty, then the Englander will get put into action. I think this will be an easier sell now that the wife likes wood heat. We shall see...

Whereabouts in PA are you? If you're in the SE area of things I could help out with some of the fuel your wife says you don't need.

Whereabouts in PA are you? If you're in the SE area of things I could help out with some of the fuel your wife says you don't need.
I'm in western PA. Thanks though. I really appreciate it. I can handle the gas furnace for one winter. Well, I think I can...:(

I'm feeling for you Cold. I will be in the same boat as you next year, we have plans to move from Mass to NH sometime during the summer of 13'. So of course I have all the same thoughts running through my head. The woodstove, bring it or leave it? The woodpiles, make the trips up with the wood or sell? I'm sure alot of this will have to do with where we end up and the time of year etc. I tell you, from a woodburners point of view, things like this make you think well before the time comes.

I'm feeling for you Cold. I will be in the same boat as you next year, we have plans to move from Mass to NH sometime during the summer of 13'. So of course I have all the same thoughts running through my head. The woodstove, bring it or leave it? The woodpiles, make the trips up with the wood or sell? I'm sure alot of this will have to do with where we end up and the time of year etc. I tell you, from a woodburners point of view, things like this make you think well before the time comes.

What makes you move to NH? Sick of MA? you will love it up here.

Is the stove going to be one of the selling features of your house? our old one was and it helped sell the house considering the house had electric heat. Plus in the new house I wanted a nicer stove then the Napoleon 1450. First thing I did at the new house was start to stock pile wood. people were amazed how fast i was able to scrounge up 5 cord of wood and wondered why since I had no stove to burn it in.Good luck with the move.

What makes you move to NH? Sick of MA? you will love it up here.

Is the stove going to be one of the selling features of your house? our old one was and it helped sell the house considering the house had electric heat. Plus in the new house I wanted a nicer stove then the Napoleon 1450. First thing I did at the new house was start to stock pile wood. people were amazed how fast i was able to scrounge up 5 cord of wood and wondered why since I had no stove to burn it in.Good luck with the move.
even you were thinking ahead, knowing full well that you had to get the woodpile in place ASAP even without a stove. And yeah, kids are older, wife and I want a change. Time for some country living.

If your wife is anything like mine she's going to be freezing this coming winter trying to rely on gas heat. She'll be begging you to install the NC30 by Christmas.

My wife would just keep turning the thermostat up till she was comfy.

My wife would just keep turning the thermostat up till she was comfy.
The first winter my wife and I lived together, she kept the thermostat at 62 and would where a ton of clothes to stay warm. I put a stop to this. Now we have to keep it higher because of the baby.

I wouldn't worry too much about the baby. Challenging its immune system with a little cool air, dirt and fresh air at an early age is actually a good thing. My mom kept a window partly open all winter long when we were babies and all 5 of us turned out to be pretty healthy.

I wouldn't worry too much about the baby. Challenging its immune system with a little cool air, dirt and fresh air at an early age is actually a good thing. My mom kept a window partly open all winter long when we were babies and all 5 of us turned out to be pretty healthy.
Begreen, that's actually good to hear, because I try to make sure that conditions aren't too easy in our house. We've kept the house at 68 (winter time) since the baby was born and things seem to be OK. My wife would worry cause he sleeps in pajamas, but won't keep a blanket on. Besides the ear infections, which seem to be hereditary, he's been fine.

I have lived in some pretty averse conditions for extended periods of time, and done just fine. I tend to feel like the human body is much more adaptable and resilient than we think.

Sounds reasonable. You should be fine. FWIW our younger son was prone to ear infections for the first year or two. They are a bear. Ask your doc about ear drum numbing medication.

Sounds reasonable. You should be fine. FWIW our younger son was prone to ear infections for the first year or two. They are a bear. Ask your doc about ear drum numbing medication.
Thanks begreen, but he just tubes last month. 5 ear infections this winter, so the doctors were concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.