1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Gonna smack that kid....

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Fod01, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    YO, sounds like a challenge :)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Well actually...
  3. Shadow&Flame

Shadow&Flame Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Arkansas
    O dont they just make you want to go postal sometimes. Give a teenager
    a rubber hammer with a broken handle and they can destroy an anvil.

Woman talking about teen son...funny
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWrj9TaA0Mc
  4. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA

That, when you are a teenager, dumb is your main skill set. And this applies to every teenager, me included (when I was a teenager). I remember vividly how I acted and how my thought process worked between the age of 13 and... well...right up until now if I have enough drinks in me.

Looking back on my teenage years I am surprised I didn't set myself on fire or get run over by a car as I was always not paying attention to my surroundings. As a teenager you do incredibly dumb things that can not be avoided. Your brain just does not allow things to work any differently. Oh, occasionally you can focus long enough to sound and function normally, but then things go horrendously wrong at some point. It's like watching a new born deer trying to walk around. Everything is there, and you should be a fully functioning human, but I'll be damned if things just don't work that way.

"Hey, wanna hit some mailboxes with a baseball bat as I drive down the road?"
    -Now, as an adult, you think "No, that would be wrong and destruction of private property".
    -As a teenager your instant reaction would be "Oh my god, that would be sweet. I bet they'd explode into a million pieces!"

Now, that doesn't mean the teenager wants to destroy private property, it's just that the brain seems to function kind of like a simplistic, b-rated, 80's action film. Females, explosions, stupid stunts, and flawed logic are like crack to the mind of a male teenager.

You can not stop the male teenager from doing dumb things. You can only hope to lessen the frequency.
  5. loon

loon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    ont canada
    was just friggen joking around!

Terry
  6. Mt Ski Bum

Mt Ski Bum Member

Loc:
    Big Sky, Montana
    lmao! Funny, but true, even though I was one of the more civilized ones back in my hgih school days not that long ago...
  7. Fod01

Fod01 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Long Island
    Me too! No issues...probably should've added a smiley or something
    Gabe
  8. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Principality of Pontinha
    I'm still confused.
  9. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA

Can't help you.
  10. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    When you are little, you get a set of temporary teeth designed to fall out. You mess them up in the first 4 years or so and you get a second chance at things. Wish the rest of the body could be as lucky.

Fod, Jot that story down and be sure to remind him once he's the father of a teenager.

pen
  11. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Ya know, this hits a nerve with every parent, I bet.
    I thought for sure my son was the devil when he was a teen. I've since found out that he's not.
    His intelligence was also suspect at times. I've since discovered that was unfounded, .....he's one of the smartest people I know.
    I still have some doubts about the eldest daughter.
    Kathleen, I LOVE the look on the boy's face when he gets the split just right. That brought a smile to MY face.
    Oldest daughter (when she was younger) would want to walk around the house in shorts and t-shirt and just turn up the stat. Absolutely NO thought about the cost. None. At all. Ever.
    snowleopard, great story.
    gabe, you are NOT alone.
  12. nate379

nate379 Guest

Haha.

And the reminder was something like... (Dad would walk in from work).... Hmmm... grass looks pretty tall huh?

The expected response was hearing the mower running in the next 15 seconds... haha!

Oh and "brrr... it's cold in here"... means go make a fire or put more wood in... it doesn't mean to say "well put a sweatshirt on"... I swear that backhand knocked some brains out through my nose!

Oh yeah once us kids left, all of a sudden big 6ft deck "pro" zero turn mower, does the ~4 acres in under an hour. And no more wood stove, self feeding coal stove now. Dad said without all us helping wood was too much work and he's getting too old for it (in his 50s) Can't blame him, heated with wood since a little kid.

13. Milton Findley

Milton Findley Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Adolescent brains do not work like adult brains. From experience, I also know that explaining the functional differences to a teenager is a fruitless exercise. They are not dumb, they are disorganized and what they know does not always connect with what they do.

Fortunately, this is temporary, lasting at most about a decade and a half, or two.

The human race expanded completely around the globe during the course of about one ice age, according to some of the experts I have read. I am almost certain that it was adolescents who did most of the hoofing because they got tired of being slapped up back of the head.
  14. Frozen Canuck

Frozen Canuck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North central Alberta, Canada
    Excellent Milt. I don't think I have ever heard the migration of the species explained quite that way. :lol: . Just read it to my wife & she thinks you maybe a decade or so short in that timeline for males. :lol:
  15. Milton Findley

Milton Findley Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Your wife is right, but I have to live with the guys on the forum too.
    ;-)
  16. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Back when Bill Cosby was funny he used to say that somewhere around twenty years of age kids start settling in and becoming normal when they meet the great equalizer. Rent.
  17. Fod01

Fod01 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Long Island
    THATS funny.
  18. snowleopard

snowleopard Minister of Fire

I have to remind myself (frequently) that these characteristics of the adolescent male were probably critical for the survival of the tribe.

teenager 1: Let's go into that den and kill the bear that's sleeping in there.
    teenager 2: Sweet!

Granted, attrition was high.

There's a story or two told that when Athabascan males would become unteachable and an actual danger to those around them, they would be taken to the edge of a cliff, and asked to climb a tall tree that was bent over the cliff. Someone would be waiting at the bottom ready to cut the tree down . . . but then Athabascans are known for teaching their young through the use of cautionary tales, so this practice may have been talked about more than executed.
  19. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Was that in the days before he found Jello to be so fascinating? ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.