Gonna smack that kid....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
BrotherBart said:
I am off to buy a Fiskars.

Yes we've been having fun with that all week. But can you look that adorable when you use it?

YO, sounds like a challenge :)

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
BrotherBart said:
I am off to buy a Fiskars.

Yes we've been having fun with that all week. But can you look that adorable when you use it?

Well actually...

btuser said:
loon said:
someone mentioned to me on the board awhile ago that ya 'cant fix dumb' :coolsmile:

loon

What's that supposed to mean?

That, when you are a teenager, dumb is your main skill set. And this applies to every teenager, me included (when I was a teenager). I remember vividly how I acted and how my thought process worked between the age of 13 and... well...right up until now if I have enough drinks in me.

Looking back on my teenage years I am surprised I didn't set myself on fire or get run over by a car as I was always not paying attention to my surroundings. As a teenager you do incredibly dumb things that can not be avoided. Your brain just does not allow things to work any differently. Oh, occasionally you can focus long enough to sound and function normally, but then things go horrendously wrong at some point. It's like watching a new born deer trying to walk around. Everything is there, and you should be a fully functioning human, but I'll be damned if things just don't work that way.

"Hey, wanna hit some mailboxes with a baseball bat as I drive down the road?"
-Now, as an adult, you think "No, that would be wrong and destruction of private property".
-As a teenager your instant reaction would be "Oh my god, that would be sweet. I bet they'd explode into a million pieces!"

Now, that doesn't mean the teenager wants to destroy private property, it's just that the brain seems to function kind of like a simplistic, b-rated, 80's action film. Females, explosions, stupid stunts, and flawed logic are like crack to the mind of a male teenager.

You can not stop the male teenager from doing dumb things. You can only hope to lessen the frequency.

BrowningBAR said:
btuser said:
loon said:
someone mentioned to me on the board awhile ago that ya 'cant fix dumb' :coolsmile:

loon

What's that supposed to mean?

That, when you are a teenager, dumb is your main skill set. And this applies to every teenager, me included (when I was a teenager). I remember vividly how I acted and how my thought process worked between the age of 13 and... well...right up until now if I have enough drinks in me.

Looking back on my teenage years I am surprised I didn't set myself on fire or get run over by a car as I was always not paying attention to my surroundings. As a teenager you do incredibly dumb things that can not be avoided. Your brain just does not allow things to work any differently. Oh, occasionally you can focus long enough to sound and function normally, but then things go horrendously wrong at some point. It's like watching a new born deer trying to walk around. Everything is there, and you should be a fully functioning human, but I'll be damned if things just don't work that way.

"Hey, wanna hit some mailboxes with a baseball bat as I drive down the road?"
-Now, as an adult, you think "No, that would be wrong and destruction of private property".
-As a teenager your instant reaction would be "Oh my god, that would be sweet. I bet they'd explode into a million pieces!"

Now, that doesn't mean the teenager wants to destroy private property, it's just that the brain seems to function kind of like a simplistic, b-rated, 80's action film. Females, explosions, stupid stunts, and flawed logic are like crack to the mind of a male teenager.

You can not stop the male teenager from doing dumb things. You can only hope to lessen the frequency.

lmao! Funny, but true, even though I was one of the more civilized ones back in my hgih school days not that long ago...

loon said:
Fod01 said:
loon said:

loon

Easy there.

was just friggen joking around!

Terry

Me too! No issues...probably should've added a smiley or something
Gabe

When you are little, you get a set of temporary teeth designed to fall out. You mess them up in the first 4 years or so and you get a second chance at things. Wish the rest of the body could be as lucky.

Fod, Jot that story down and be sure to remind him once he's the father of a teenager.

pen

Ya know, this hits a nerve with every parent, I bet.
I thought for sure my son was the devil when he was a teen. I've since found out that he's not.
His intelligence was also suspect at times. I've since discovered that was unfounded, .....he's one of the smartest people I know.
I still have some doubts about the eldest daughter.
Kathleen, I LOVE the look on the boy's face when he gets the split just right. That brought a smile to MY face.
Oldest daughter (when she was younger) would want to walk around the house in shorts and t-shirt and just turn up the stat. Absolutely NO thought about the cost. None. At all. Ever.
snowleopard, great story.
gabe, you are NOT alone.

Haha.

And the reminder was something like... (Dad would walk in from work).... Hmmm... grass looks pretty tall huh?

The expected response was hearing the mower running in the next 15 seconds... haha!

Oh and "brrr... it's cold in here"... means go make a fire or put more wood in... it doesn't mean to say "well put a sweatshirt on"... I swear that backhand knocked some brains out through my nose!

Oh yeah once us kids left, all of a sudden big 6ft deck "pro" zero turn mower, does the ~4 acres in under an hour. And no more wood stove, self feeding coal stove now. Dad said without all us helping wood was too much work and he's getting too old for it (in his 50s) Can't blame him, heated with wood since a little kid.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
NATE379 said:
Once we got old enough 12-13 yrs old or so it was our job to take care of most of the chores. Feeding the stove, cutting grass, etc. I can tell you that my Mom or Dad only had to "remind" us once about it because they next time it wasn't so nice of a reminder.

Seriously. I'm a firm believer in the unsuspecting "one armed swat" :)

Sorry Gabe ... did he close the windows yet ?????

sign0004.gif

Adolescent brains do not work like adult brains. From experience, I also know that explaining the functional differences to a teenager is a fruitless exercise. They are not dumb, they are disorganized and what they know does not always connect with what they do.

Fortunately, this is temporary, lasting at most about a decade and a half, or two.

The human race expanded completely around the globe during the course of about one ice age, according to some of the experts I have read. I am almost certain that it was adolescents who did most of the hoofing because they got tired of being slapped up back of the head.

Excellent Milt. I don't think I have ever heard the migration of the species explained quite that way. :lol: . Just read it to my wife & she thinks you maybe a decade or so short in that timeline for males. :lol:

Frozen Canuck said:
Excellent Milt. I don't think I have ever heard the migration of the species explained quite that way. :lol: . Just read it to my wife & she thinks you maybe a decade or so short in that timeline for males. :lol:

Your wife is right, but I have to live with the guys on the forum too.
;-)

Back when Bill Cosby was funny he used to say that somewhere around twenty years of age kids start settling in and becoming normal when they meet the great equalizer. Rent.

Milt said:
Adolescent brains do not work like adult brains. From experience, I also know that explaining the functional differences to a teenager is a fruitless exercise. They are not dumb, they are disorganized and what they know does not always connect with what they do.

Fortunately, this is temporary, lasting at most about a decade and a half, or two.

The human race expanded completely around the globe during the course of about one ice age, according to some of the experts I have read. I am almost certain that it was adolescents who did most of the hoofing because they got tired of being slapped up back of the head.

I have to remind myself (frequently) that these characteristics of the adolescent male were probably critical for the survival of the tribe.

teenager 1: Let's go into that den and kill the bear that's sleeping in there.
teenager 2: Sweet!

Granted, attrition was high.

There's a story or two told that when Athabascan males would become unteachable and an actual danger to those around them, they would be taken to the edge of a cliff, and asked to climb a tall tree that was bent over the cliff. Someone would be waiting at the bottom ready to cut the tree down . . . but then Athabascans are known for teaching their young through the use of cautionary tales, so this practice may have been talked about more than executed.

BrotherBart said:
Back when Bill Cosby was funny he used to say that somewhere around twenty years of age kids start settling in and becoming normal when they meet the great equalizer. Rent.

Was that in the days before he found Jello to be so fascinating? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.