Gonzaga Wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
Came across a little score this afternoon after the SU game. By the time I was loaded up, had about a cord. The bigger rounds were heavy but were also 18-24" in diameter. Any idea what it is?

Attachments

• 0321score.jpg
    0321score.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 363
  • 0321split.jpg
    0321split.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 346
Is it Oak, I cut so much Cherry I'm not use to looking at anything else.

Nice score, both the wood and the basketball game.

zap

My best guess is maple

It was definitely heavy and we have a lot of maple here. I've stripped the paint off a lot of oak trim and it definitely isn't oak. I think it is in that weight class though as it looks like it was cut a few weeks ago and not just water weight.

It looks like it might be pieces of a big old Norway Maple. There is a piece in the truck that looks different, but most of the wood and the bark looks like Norway maple, which is a really common street tree, especially older street trees in the northeast.

Isn't Norway pretty light?

S&W it was a long time ago but one spring I cut all our box Elder down as nuisance trees. The bark kind of looked like that iirc.

When I first saw it, I assumed it was something like box elder or poplar. Then, I tried to pick it up. It is a good thing the bed of the trailer sits low.

Status
Not open for further replies.