Good heat from punky wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA Fire Bug

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2010
Blair County, PA
Last winter I cut a lot of downed trees that had been on the ground for a while. Several of them were fairly rotten and soft but I didn't realize how bad they were until I split them. They were frozen when I cut them which made them more solid. I stacked all the punky stuff near our fire circle and had planned to burn it outside. Once I realized how much I had, it seemed like a waste not to use it for heat inside the house. I started burning it a few weeks ago when the temperatures got warmer and am pleasantly surprised with the heat output. The wood is dirty but we will get several weeks or more worth of heat out of it now that we aren't burning 24/7.
100_8306.JPG

I burn that stuff early or late in the season too. It just burns quick which is great during the shoulder seasons.

any heat from wood is "good heat" and I have been doing the same with punk and junk to try and limp out out this burning season and take the chill off in the AM. Not sure how long my plan is going to last as I look outside and it is snowing off and on today. I am ready for some 60+ degree weather.

Last winter I cut a lot of downed trees that had been on the ground for a while. Several of them were fairly rotten and soft but I didn't realize how bad they were until I split them. They were frozen when I cut them which made them more solid. I stacked all the punky stuff near our fire circle and had planned to burn it outside. Once I realized how much I had, it seemed like a waste not to use it for heat inside the house. I started burning it a few weeks ago when the temperatures got warmer and am pleasantly surprised with the heat output. The wood is dirty but we will get several weeks or more worth of heat out of it now that we aren't burning 24/7.

+1
Did the same a few years back
It's BTUs :)

How does that punkie stuff react with a cat stove? I've about 1.5 cord of white oak, from a tree that was standing dead for 10+ years, that all the sap wood is pinky but the heart wood is harder than a witch's heart. Just wondering if I should remove the punkie stuff, if it doesn't fall off first, before it goes into the Buck.

the sap wood is pinky but the heart wood is harder than a witch's heart. Just wondering if I should remove the punkie stuff
I have a thing about removing most of the punk...but I'm not right in the head. ;lol Last week I sawed a bunch of punk off some Cherry rounds before splitting. Worked pretty well but obviously took a while to do.

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
How does that punkie stuff react with a cat stove? I've about 1.5 cord of white oak, from a tree that was standing dead for 10+ years, that all the sap wood is pinky but the heart wood is harder than a witch's heart. Just wondering if I should remove the punkie stuff, if it doesn't fall off first, before it goes into the Buck.

Ralph, there is no problem burning punky wood in a cat stove. I suggest doing that in the fall of the year though after it has dried nicely in the hot summer sun and wind.

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
Lugged a bunch of red oak like that out of the creekbottom last year and burned it to finish off this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.