good kindling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwhitnee

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2015
Central Mass, USA
Leftovers from splitting, have 3 boxes of it drying out nicely. The bark is mostly shagbark hickory. Mostly cherry wood.

Attachments

• 20150821_161843.jpg
    20150821_161843.jpg
    544.1 KB · Views: 369
Anything that lights easily is great kindling - well besides gasoline.o_O

Thats what I use, all the splits and bark chips.

Bob

I had the fortunate/unfortunate experience of remodeling my entire house. Plaster and lathe boards. Have a basement full of em. Makes great kindling. I also use bark and leftovers as well. You will need more than two boxes though I would think.

I got some really long culicues of cedar out of my hand planes over the summer...

Cherry kindling is good but don't let it get wet...seems to absorb moisture to some extent.

Fine kindling indeed. The Shewolf loves splitter scraps, they get a fire going quickly.

I had the fortunate/unfortunate experience of remodeling my entire house. Plaster and lathe boards. Have a basement full of em. Makes great kindling. I also use bark and leftovers as well. You will need more than two boxes though I would think.

Last house owner tried to hang a ceiling in the cellar which was crazy as it was too moist. They took down the drywall and I just finished taking down the lathe. I could use that as well...

Super cedar and lumber scraps. We always have projects generating lumber scraps, the result of almost constant renovation.

Status
Not open for further replies.