Good Price: Fiskars X7 14-Inch Hatchet for $17.49

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the x11. After a year of use I love it. The first few months irritated me to no end as the slippery factory coating they put on the hatchet make it a bugger for splitting kindling unless one is able to cut such small bits in single blows.

I was just about to take the wire wheel to mine and peel that coating off when I decided to just spend a bit and split a bunch of splits in 1/2 for the heck of it. This was nearing on spring and the smaller splits would be nice for the shoulder season anyway. Long story short, that kept me from taking the wire wheel to it and I love it now. However, had I received it as a gift earlier in the burn season, I would have had my way with removing that stuff very quickly.

Just a heads up,

pen

The price went up to $18.39 over night.

That crazy amazon!

I have the x11. After a year of use I love it. The first few months irritated me to no end as the slippery factory coating they put on the hatchet make it a bugger for splitting kindling unless one is able to cut such small bits in single blows.

I was just about to take the wire wheel to mine and peel that coating off when I decided to just spend a bit and split a bunch of splits in 1/2 for the heck of it. This was nearing on spring and the smaller splits would be nice for the shoulder season anyway. Long story short, that kept me from taking the wire wheel to it and I love it now. However, had I received it as a gift earlier in the burn season, I would have had my way with removing that stuff very quickly.

Just a heads up,

pen
So, if I understand, when it was slippery at first, it would slip off the wood when trying to make kindling? I am trying to picture it.

Just a heads up,

pen

So now I understand why I am having so much problem with x7 and x27. So tomorrow I will remove the slippery coating. Thanks for the tip it really appreciated.

So, if I understand, when it was slippery at first, it would slip off the wood when trying to make kindling? I am trying to picture it.

Usually when making kindling, I take a straight split and whack it in 1/2. Then take the 1/2, and whack it in 1/2.

To that point, it was working well.

From there, making the small kindling, I'd usually just tap one of the 1/4's with the hatchet so it sticks, then pick up the stick stuck to the hatchet and tap the piece down into the chopping block. It's at this point where the hatchet would want to pop out rather than stay stuck in the wood.

pen

the hatchet would want to pop out rather than stay stuck in the wood.

That is the problem I was having to. I thought I was doing something wrong. Never occurred to me that there was a slippery coating on the axes until you mentioned it. Thanks for the tip.

Yep, mine wouldn't do this until I wore that coating off, it would keep wanting to pop up and out before I could tap/drive it through to make the split.

DSCN0109.jpg DSCN0112.jpg

Hope it works for you.

pen

...I'd usually just tap one of the 1/4's with the hatchet so it sticks, then pick up the stick stuck to the hatchet and tap the piece down into the chopping block. It's at this point where the hatchet would want to pop out rather than stay stuck in the wood.

I think maybe you're doing some pretty wimpy "tapping".

I think maybe you're doing some pretty wimpy "tapping".

I didn't think I was clear with my words. Just trying to show it wouldn't stick in a split to give me the chance to tap. Obviously, the piece shown is an easy splitter.

When new, I wouldn't have been able to take a pic like that as it would have popped out in a piece w/out perfect grain.

Yep, mine wouldn't do this until I wore that coating off, it would keep wanting to pop up and out before I could tap/drive it through to make the split.

I removed the coating and had no more problem. Thanks again Pen

Status
Not open for further replies.