Good Price for a Stihl 390

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well lets see I have 9 stihls as you can see in my signature one ms 180 is in my camper and one I use for brushing , the 024 is almost a relic the old guy only comes out just to run it other than that it sits on the shelf but its always ready to run , the easystart ms250 is the girlfriends saw after she couldnt get the ms260 pro going ??? my bucking saws are the 026 16"bar and the ms360 also with a 16 inch bar running .325 chains but the 360's chain is modified . My knock down saws are the ms 260pro 16" .325 the Ms 361 20" 3/8 and the 460 25" 3/8 I will use the 361 and 460 if I have a few bigger rounds to buck up and the 260 pro gets used for brushing out .
So yes I can afford to dedicate a saw for bucking set up like the 360 is .
Sorry no videos but shall have to do that soon I can tell you the saw is a ball of fun to run .
I am running a 7 tooth 3/8 on the 361 and a 7 on the 460 also I have an 8 tooth I could try on the 460 but since I only use the saw for knockin down the big stuff I think I am faaster abnd better off this way . I may truy the 8 tooth once with the 36" bar and skip tooth
I did want to say this also is Medman you may want to try a profesional round tooth chain , The square tooth are not the best in frozen hard wood .
I mostly only run square tooth but I do have round tooth for ocasions when I am cutting dirty wood they seem to stay sharper longer .

webie said:
Well lets see I have 9 stihls as you can see in my signature one ms 180 is in my camper and one I use for brushing , the 024 is almost a relic the old guy only comes out just to run it other than that it sits on the shelf but its always ready to run , the easystart ms250 is the girlfriends saw after she couldnt get the ms260 pro going ??? my bucking saws are the 026 16"bar and the ms360 also with a 16 inch bar running .325 chains but the 360's chain is modified . My knock down saws are the ms 260pro 16" .325 the Ms 361 20" 3/8 and the 460 25" 3/8 I will use the 361 and 460 if I have a few bigger rounds to buck up and the 260 pro gets used for brushing out .
So yes I can afford to dedicate a saw for bucking set up like the 360 is .
Sorry no videos but shall have to do that soon I can tell you the saw is a ball of fun to run .
I am running a 7 tooth 3/8 on the 361 and a 7 on the 460 also I have an 8 tooth I could try on the 460 but since I only use the saw for knockin down the big stuff I think I am faaster abnd better off this way . I may truy the 8 tooth once with the 36" bar and skip tooth
I did want to say this also is Medman you may want to try a profesional round tooth chain , The square tooth are not the best in frozen hard wood .
I mostly only run square tooth but I do have round tooth for ocasions when I am cutting dirty wood they seem to stay sharper longer .

Wow about all I can say....If it works for you then it works for you!

Hey smokenjay how much you cuttin in a year ? I am ussually around the 20 full cord give or take.

webie said:
Hey smokenjay how much you cuttin in a year ? I am ussually around the 20 full cord give or take.

last 2 years has been well over 30+(20 that needs split now)...Now you running that 9 pin because thats the only way you can run the .325 chain on the 360?

smokinjay said:
webie said:

last 2 years has been well over 30+(20 that needs split now)...Now you running that 9 pin because that's the only way you can run the .325 chain on the 360?
I would think you can probably get a 8 pin . I think the options on the rim sprocket were a 7 or 8 3/8 or a 8 or 9 on the .325 . I had to look at some old 036 maintenance catalogs is where I found it , At one time the option was there to run a .325 chain on I believe it was the old 031-2 and the 036 . I had to call 2 stihl dealers to get it , the first said the part number didn't exist when I gave it to him , the other dealer looked it up and said I can have it for you in 2 days .
Why it cuts so fast is it is so much less drag because of the narrowness of the chain , plus with the amount of power for chain width size you can mod out the rakers ( I just kept takeing them down till the saw started to slow on its own weight ) I tried the chain on the 260 and you cant even cut with it it just stops the saw or vibrates like crazy . I can tell you this it doesnt work very well for knocking down the saw pinches like crazy , It shouldnt, but does , but bucking, better not stand behind the saw or your going to get a bath in chips .
Latest best investment for me was the timberwolf splitter . All I can say is wow on that thing . It made me about 4000 plus poorer but I can tell you its fast with auto forward reverse and the 4 and 6 way heads I am glad I am not catching ( keeps the girl friends upper chest in shape ) . Me the gal and maybe another can do a full cord an hour on it , but the darn thing still won't pile my wood .
Webie

webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:

last 2 years has been well over 30+(20 that needs split now)...Now you running that 9 pin because that's the only way you can run the .325 chain on the 360?
I would think you can probably get a 8 pin . I think the options on the rim sprocket were a 7 or 8 3/8 or a 8 or 9 on the .325 . I had to look at some old 036 maintenance catalogs is where I found it , At one time the option was there to run a .325 chain on I believe it was the old 031-2 and the 036 . I had to call 2 stihl dealers to get it , the first said the part number didn't exist when I gave it to him , the other dealer looked it up and said I can have it for you in 2 days .
Why it cuts so fast is it is so much less drag because of the narrowness of the chain , plus with the amount of power for chain width size you can mod out the rakers ( I just kept takeing them down till the saw started to slow on its own weight ) I tried the chain on the 260 and you cant even cut with it it just stops the saw or vibrates like crazy . I can tell you this it doesnt work very well for knocking down the saw pinches like crazy , It shouldnt, but does , but bucking, better not stand behind the saw or your going to get a bath in chips .
Latest best investment for me was the timberwolf splitter . All I can say is wow on that thing . It made me about 4000 plus poorer but I can tell you its fast with auto forward reverse and the 4 and 6 way heads I am glad I am not catching ( keeps the girl friends upper chest in shape ) . Me the gal and maybe another can do a full cord an hour on it , but the darn thing still won't pile my wood .
Webie

Iam running a cord an hour on a troy built with 2 guys not stack just in a pile. You get a chance do a video of that 360 you have me wondering here! lol Best I can think is the 9 pin is the only one that will work on that set up and a length needs to be added to the chain? I do a lot of chain sharpening and set ups. My new work bench is going in this weekend should make things a lot easier..
and on the rakers if you can file them to round over and curving towards the cutter will not only make a fast chin but will help keep it smoother.

The chain is to agressive for the 260 plus you can only get a 8 pin on there do to the smaller clutch size so the slower speed causes the vibration where as the 9 pin speed is so much faster .
Most of what I cut is silver maple so I am sure that is makeing a bit of a difference I do get about 30% white ash and black ash .
I have been doing the rakers off of the grinder with a flat stone at a 10 degree slope angle with the top peak at a undergrind of 30 thousands by a feeler gauge ( I know pretty crude ), I wish I had a stone that could grind them rounded , But then after a few hours of cutting they are starting to round themselves .
You can still use the standard length chain 67 driver chain for a .325 16 inch bar

webie said:
The chain is to agressive for the 260 plus you can only get a 8 pin on there do to the smaller clutch size so the slower speed causes the vibration where as the 9 pin speed is so much faster .
Most of what I cut is silver maple so I am sure that is makeing a bit of a difference I do get about 30% white ash and black ash .
I have been doing the rakers off of the grinder with a flat stone at a 10 degree slope angle with the top peak at a undergrind of 30 thousands by a feeler gauge ( I know pretty crude ), I wish I had a stone that could grind them rounded , But then after a few hours of cutting they are starting to round themselves .
You can still use the standard length chain 67 driver chain for a .325 16 inch bar

here's a 59in. one root flare was 63in. silver maple we done in sept.a lot of what I get is silver maple 50+ in. there so big around here surprising thats theres not more knocking down housing in storms

Attachments

• 6 cord silver maple.jpg
    6 cord silver maple.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 247
smokinjay said:
webie said:

here's a 59in. one root flare was 63in. silver maple we done in sept.a lot of what I get is silver maple 50+ in. there so big around here surprising thats theres not more knocking down housing in storms
Yep mine are a bit smaller but I push well into the 40 inch range . definatly why what we call its time for the judge and thats when the 460 comes out and its play time.
Ours look about the same blackish inside looks like they want to start to rot , If you get them soon they are great wood , a year on the ground and they are junk .

Thanks for the input guys. I have reached a compromise - an 18" bar and chain. I already have the 7 tooth sprocket with the rim, so dealer recommended the 18 inch bar and chain. It was special order, $50 for both pieces, from Sthil. I have only used the saw once since changing, for two tanks of gas. It seems to have more power but is still a pain to handle being shorter.
The dealer said I could mod the muffler, but then I would likely be back to get a new piston - something they have seen in the past. FWIW, my dealer was a great help - he also suggested round chain if I find the frozen wood is too hard. I will keep at it here and see how it goes. I would like to get 16 cords up before spring really sets in.

Medman said:
Thanks for the input guys. I have reached a compromise - an 18" bar and chain. I already have the 7 tooth sprocket with the rim, so dealer recommended the 18 inch bar and chain. It was special order, $50 for both pieces, from Sthil. I have only used the saw once since changing, for two tanks of gas. It seems to have more power but is still a pain to handle being shorter.
The dealer said I could mod the muffler, but then I would likely be back to get a new piston - something they have seen in the past. FWIW, my dealer was a great help - he also suggested round chain if I find the frozen wood is too hard. I will keep at it here and see how it goes. I would like to get 16 cords up before spring really sets in.

16 real cords that going to be a hudge task.....

Yep, you're not kidding! I have been bucking logs for about a week here and there. If I get a good weekend in, I will be through the first 8 full cords. The next load of 8 cords is coming next week. I want to get the splitting done hopefully by the end of March, and have the stacking done by the end of April. I am doing all of this by myself, at least for now.

I normally do just 8 cords at a time, but I am getting behind in supply. I have been burning wood lately that is not fully dry and it's causing me no end of grief, so I want to get a couple of years of supply put up this year to have a cushion for the following years.

Last year I burned 8 full cords of maple (Sept to June) and this year I have already chewed through 5 full cords of crappy birch and some maple. I am on track to burn 8 cords again.

Status
Not open for further replies.