Good Price for an old Drolet HT-2000 ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sleewok

Jan 27, 2021
USA
I've been trying to find a decent deal on a stove to heat 1400sqft and it looks like the HT-2000 is a great option. I'm going to look at a used one that was tested in 1994 (according to the label) tomorrow. Any thoughts on a reasonable price for it? Supposedly the baffle and air tubes are intact (I haven't seen them though). A couple of the firebricks would need replaced.

They are asking $625.00.

I really appreciate any thoughts on this!

That is an oldie if the date is accurate. I didn't think they were made back then, but could be wrong. The HT-2000 is a big stove. How well insulated is the house and is the floorplan wide open? Where are you located? USA is not helpful and there's a huge difference between heating in VT vs GA.

Reactions: sleewok
That's alot for a stove that old. For around 300 more you could by a new Englander or something similar.

That's alot for a stove that old. For around 300 more you could by a new Englander or something similar.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking after looking into it a bit more. The Englander 32-NC is about $1050 from Home Depot. My only issue with that model is that it doesn't have a blower. I don't think radiant heat would distribute very well. The wife says no to one of those fans that sits on top of the stove.

When considering the 26% tax credit I think that makes it a pretty good deal compared to a $600 old stove (with lots of unknowns).

@begreen

I'm located in Blacksburg, Virginia. The house is was built in 78. Good insulation for the time it was built. There is a vaulted ceiling in the room where the stove will be located. I've done the Manual J calculation on the house and 36K BTU is what I would need for the area I am heating.

We are removing a couple walls which will create an open floorplan between all the spaces.

Last edited:
Thanks, you see some cold weather at times, but a 3 cu ft non-cat will be idling for a lot of the 40º days. If the tax credit is important, that reduces the choices considerably. There are no large, cheap stoves listed with 75%+ HHV.

Thanks, you see some cold weather at times, but a 3 cu ft non-cat will be idling for a lot of the 40º days. If the tax credit is important, that reduces the choices considerably. There are no large, cheap stoves listed with 75%+ HHV.

Do you think I should go smaller then?

The guy selling the older HT2000 is open to negotiate. I was thinking around $300. Thoughts?

On a side note, if I leave the door open to the bedroom side of the house then we have about 2400sqft of space to heat. Having something larger might not be a bad idea if we do that.

It looks like the Pleasant Hearth 2200 model will qualify for the tax credit (https://cfpub.epa.gov/oarweb/woodstove/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.appliancerecord&appliancesID=4969). I've heard mixed reviews about the brand...but the price is super low.

Last edited:
Do you think I should go smaller then?

The guy selling the older HT2000 is open to negotiate. I was thinking around $300. Thoughts?

On a side note, if I leave the door open to the bedroom side of the house then we have about 2400sqft of space to heat. Having something larger might not be a bad idea if we do that.

It looks like the Pleasant Hearth 2200 model will qualify for the tax credit (https://cfpub.epa.gov/oarweb/woodstove/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.appliancerecord&appliancesID=4969). I've heard mixed reviews about the brand...but the price is super low.
A 2 cu ft stove would do the job unless there is an easy way to move the heat out of that area to the rest of the house. Can't comment on the old Drolet sight unseen. It might be ready for scrap or lightly used.

That model Pleasant Hearth stove is no longer listed on their website. Nor is any EPA data. Actually, woodstoves are not even in the main menu, but there is a page listed them with all new model numbers.