good product for cleaning catalytic combustor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RustyShackleford

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 6, 2009
NC
Dawned on me that my catalytic converter was fairly clogged, and when I went to clean it, I came across this item I had lying around ...

Designed for cleaning between teeth, so very gentle bristles, so not likely to damage combustor surface. Some sources recommend pipe cleaners, but the holes on my metal substrate combustor (in BK Princess) are so small that a pipe cleaner would really have to be forced.

IMG_20210216_014424662.jpg IMG_20210216_014545662_HDR.jpg

Just my opinion, I'd keep any tool from rubbing up against the catalyst coating that is applied to the substrate. I have good luck with paintbrush for the outside, reversed vac to blow ash out, and once in a while the vinegar bath.

Don’t do it.

I just do a very light dusting with a paintbrush on the side exposed to the fire. once and a while some *low pressure* compressed air. That has always made it flow like new again.

Dale, STOP!!!! just do a soak in boiling distilled water mixed with white vinegar

Studies show that 4 out of 5 dentists recommend not flossing your teeth with the Colgate Catalytic Crevice Cleaner.

• Haha
Reactions: RustyShackleford
I second ("fifth?"): don't. The damage can be either in removing the atomic scale catalytic elements (Pd/Rh, I think), or in damaging the oxide coating on the metal substrate. Either is bad as it will deactivate the locations where damage is done.

Are you saying don't do it to me, or to the vinegar bath ? I've read to use pipe cleaner (https://www.blazeking.ca/EN/PDF/instructions/Combustor Cleaning Instructions.pdf : "Any cells that are still plugged should be gently cleared using a cotton swab or pipe cleaner"), and these dental things are WAY gentler (you're supposed rub them against your GUMS). Plus, cat is about 2" thick and I'm sticking the brushes in maybe 1/4-3/8", so even if it's completely ruining the coating there, it's still a small fraction of the whole thing. Basically I'm dislodging the ash deposits there.

Well, it's your property, so it is yours to ruin. Consensus here is to not do it (pipe cleaner). And my manual explicitly says to never do this.

Moreover, you don't want to diminish the cat action by 15% (by going in only 15% of the depth).

Ash is easily vacuumed out with a normal vacuum.

Any cells that are still plugged
I think that is the suggestion and the misunderstanding. So, let's say for some stupid reason AFTER a brush and a gentle blow a cell or so is still has deposits of black creosote. Possible this could be the answer. But still would go with the vinegar/distilled bath first.

I appreciate your concern, guys, but relax. It's maybe 15% of the way in, in about half the cells. And these things aren't remotely as abrasive as a pipe cleaner; again, they are meant to be jammed in next to your gums - maybe check one out for yourself.

I did the vinegar thing years ago (actually got hold of some reagent grade acetic acid) and the improvement wasn't dramatic. I may try it with this one this summer though.

You're fine, you asked for our view, you got it. Personally, I'd not risk deactivating 8% of my cat before llnkther options deemed safer have been exhausted.

On a similar note, here are two good sources for the special gasket material that you wrap around your catalytic converter when re-installing it after cleaning.

For very quick delivery (but expensive), which I needed with stove working very poorly and not wanting to have it down for long. I actually got free next-day on this:

Amazon product ASIN B084T8SD4R

For a good price:

I ordered 5ft, which is enough to do the BK Princess twice, cost about $21 with shipping