Good score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
My neighbor had two Norway maples taken down. He doesn't burn, but is happy to help me process whatever I can use. I should be able to take a majority of it, 2 or so cords, and will burn it the year after next. We're wondering how to tackle the trunk, though. It has a 3.5 foot diameter and the bar on my husky is 18". Is it worth noodling? Or would someone with bigger equipment be happy to take it off my neighbor's hands? Or should he just pay someone to take it away? His wife wants it all gone before the first snow.

IMG_4642.JPG IMG_4643.JPG IMG_4644.JPG IMG_4645.JPG

Reactions: MrsD and gregbesia
Noodle it, and keep cutting.
Nice score!

If that husky can swing a 20" or more bar, it may be time. Norway maple is hot wood. No way I'd let someone walk off with it. Noodle it or wedge it. Sweet score.

Looks a lot like what I'm working on right now myself only a bit bigger and better for you. I have a water maple down that's a shade smaller than that. Been splitting maple for 3 days now.

We went the noodle-ing route. Lots of work, but easier than I thought. Mostly because another neighbor brought his 20" husky over for a little workout. The photo doesn't do it justice, but from the left of the maul handle is where the trunk starts. Picasso would be proud of our cubic art.

Attachments

• IMG_20161017_141847014_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20161017_141847014_HDR.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 119
Looks like your neighbor now has no trees. Seems like an odd thing to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.