Good stove thermometer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BLIMP said:
test by placing in 300*f oven 4awhile & remember the difference?

But how do you verify that the oven is accurate? :coolhmm:

Condar claims accurate readings of +or-5% I can live with 30 degrees off at 600 degrees. I do not think rutland make such claims.

Pagey said:
BLIMP said:

with an oven thermometer? or set @ 220*f & see if the water boils , in the pan

oldspark said:
Condar claims accurate readings of +or-5% I can live with 30 degrees off at 600 degrees. I do not think rutland make such claims.
whats the fine print say? 4guarantee

BLIMP said:
oldspark said:
One year!

oldspark said:
BLIMP said:
oldspark said:
One year!
for returns!

BLIMP said:
Pagey said:
BLIMP said:

with an oven thermometer? or set @ 220*f & see if the water boils , in the pan

That checks it at the low end of the scale, but not at 500-600 which is where the stove typically runs. Oven thermostats are also frequently out of calibration by 25 degrees or more.

For what it's worth:
I had my oven running (GE Profile, about 2 years old, digital temp display).
So I put my new Tel-Tru and my old Rutland style stove top thermometers inside.
With the oven at 450F, the Tel-Tru read 480F and the old thermometer read 525F. I'm guessing both read high because of being inside the oven, versus just sitting in open air on a hot surface. Of course, the old thermometer was off by almost 100 degrees!

The temp rose very quickly on the old thermometer, while it rose much slower and steadier on the the Tel-Tru.
This leads me to believe I've probably been shutting my stove damper too soon, thinking the firebox was hot enough.

The Tel-Tru has a much smaller and tighter bi-metallic coil than the old thermometer. It also has temp. markings at 10 degree increments. According to the specs, it's rated at +/-2% accuracy over the 750F range, or 15 degrees.

The old thermometer is going in the trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.