1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Good Thing for Warrantee

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Ejectr, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Ejectr

Ejectr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brimfield, MA
    Or this would be getting expensive. Lost another hopper fuel level sensor in the PF100. That's the second one in two burn seasons. They run around $100. So 2 @ $100 and an igniter @ $115 =$315 in rinky dink parts alone in not even two seasons of run time.

Oil Furnace 3....Pellet Furnace 0....

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. gbreda

gbreda Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    Is this normal? I had heard about going thru burn pots but not so much on the other stuff.
    Also, Is this a similar set up to the PB units? I would think it is to a certain extent, at least in relation to the part issues you are having
  3. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    That is strange. Never heard of one going out.

Eric
  4. Ejectr

Ejectr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brimfield, MA
    First sensor was DOA upon initial install. Got a replacement that lasted the whole season last year and up to last night this year. It's not that complex a part. An LED and a photo sensor.
  5. Ejectr

Ejectr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brimfield, MA
    Back up time....I let the hopper pellet level go way down to the bottom so I could do some more investigating. Got the sensor cleared of all pellets and brushed away the saw dust that had collected around it. Then I noticed a small flap of RTV I had used to seal the hole it goes through flapping loose. It was excess RTV that had come out from under the sensor when I sealed it and dried. Over time the excess had lost its adherence to the metal and was like a flap. I trimmed around the sensor with a razor blade...ran the test again and this time it worked. I covered the sensor with pellets....waited 3 minutes and the low fuel level light went out. The wall controller also quit flashing.

So it was either the saw dust build up....the flap of dried RTV or a combination of both. So I'm back in business.
  6. dhall28

dhall28 Member

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    good to hear its ok, i was scratching my head at this one, although stranger things have happened personally I have never come across a pf100 with a bad hopper sensor.
    kinsmanstoves likes this.
  7. Ejectr

Ejectr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brimfield, MA
    The first one I replaced was definitely bad. Tested bad and problem cured after replacement.
  8. dhall28

dhall28 Member

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    i never doubted the first one, that sort of thing happens, probably made on monday or friday, but i should say, i've never seen one that did work go bad after a while. most of the warranties i have with harman's are from newly installed units, most but not all.