Good wood or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cocey2002

Dec 28, 2007
Central PA
I cut down a dead red oak last week and have been cutting it into rounds. The outer portion underneath the bark about 1" is rotten. From that section to the middle appears solid. I plan on chopping it and seasoning for next year. I would think that the punky sections would just rot off leaving good wood. Correct? Thanks

Keep it dry, it will be ok.

The rotten part will shed off while handleing and make it a little more work to cleaning up after loading the stove but otherwise good wood.

Rotted wood burns too if it's nice and dry. Just doesn't have any where near the heat that un rotted wood does. I burn a lot of collected lying and standing dead oak. Often the outside is somehat punky. Some of it comes off from handling, but it goes in the stove with whatever is still on it. Outside lights quickly which gives me quick start ups with nice hot long oak burns to follow. :)

Since you just are cutting it up now, I wouldn't count on the splits being ready to burn next fall. Oak is very slow drying. I would give oak a minimum of two summers of drying with good ventilation and covered in a way that also lets air circulate over the top. Ideally it should be up off the ground at least 8" so air can circulate underneath too, but definitely off the ground. Three summers is even better.

Thanks guys for the suggestion. The oak tree was dead. In splitting a few rounds I have to say it doesn't appear all that green. Mostly dry in fact. Will see next year if it sizzles. I am hoping to burn it next year but if not I have a bunch of other stuff lying around.

you have got some good wood the rot will fall off if not as long as it is dry it will burn so enjoy:)

jebatty said:
Since you just are cutting it up now, I wouldn't count on the splits being ready to burn next fall. Oak is very slow drying. I would give oak a minimum of two summers of drying with good ventilation and covered in a way that also lets air circulate over the top. Ideally it should be up off the ground at least 8" so air can circulate underneath too, but definitely off the ground. Three summers is even better.

3 years! you must have some horible drying weather. I cut my oak in Apr, leave it outside in a pile and move it to the woodshed in Oct and its 20% moisture content by Nov. If i waited 3 years Id be burning balsa

Nshif, I was getting ready to type the exact same thing almost word for word! With all due respect to jebatty, I can cut green wood now and have it cured for burning by next fall, as long as it is split now.

I just finished splitting my pile of (green) scarlet and black oak for October's start to the next burning season. After I built my house I had a big surplus and by the end of the second yr I was having trouble getting any sustained burn from the wood. I watch how the racks disappear now to determine how much I cut for next yr.

If it's standing dead and you split it now, you should have no problem burning it next winter. If it was live when you cut it, for oak, I would definitely say two years is better.

nshif said:
3 years! you must have some horible drying weather. I cut my oak in Apr, leave it outside in a pile and move it to the woodshed in Oct and its 20% moisture content by Nov. If i waited 3 years Id be burning balsa

I guess I like to light my oak with a match -- or never be shy of a warm night when it is -24F with the -50+ windchills.

I find here in Maryland that if the Oak is cut and split in Jan-Feb it is two years of covered drying before it is completly dry. I have Cut it.....dried it ...Kiln dried it and weighed it..Oak and the only way to rush it is to put it in a 20ft storage container with a dehumidifier running at night..

I am sure this topic could be discussed to no end and I have never actually had to try any alternative methods of drying wood but I have seen several different methods for accelerating seasoning. All were slightly different designs but they all involved creating constant drafts like this method...

http://www.thechimneysweep.ca/6seasoningwood.html

I know this is slightly off topic as well but I have noticed differences in wood quality with regards to how long it lays in a pile, unsplit and uncovered. I try to get to it as soon as I down it but on occasion I get sidetracked. While it has much to do with the health of the tree, different species of oak resist decay more readily than others wth white oak being the most resistant, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.