Google Dandelion Ground Source Heat Pump

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Looks like Google is making a move into home heating

https://dandelionenergy.com/

They are selling it as installed package through selected dealers. The technology has been around for quite awhile, I don't see anything new. The advantage is most of the geothermal installs in my area are custom designs, the Dandelion seems to be more of a standard package. The BTU output is pretty low so not a good match for a big poorly insulated home but might b e good fit for tight house. unfortunately the big cost for geothermal is the ground source and drilling holes in the ground isn't cheap.

They claim they will be coming out with hot water heating solution but expect its going to require low temp radiators.

They are trying to bring down costs by using a proprietary drilling system that drills a hole just a few inches across instead of the typical wider well driller holes. They started with NYS because of the good tax credit there for geothermal. It's still very pricey and reliability/service during its service lifetime are unknown. They don't manufacture the heat pump. Also, Dandelion is using older 2 stage compressor design that is less efficient.

The technology works. European countries have been using geothermal heating for decades. In Sweden, 20 percent of buildings use geothermal heat pumps. China has a goal to replace 70 million tons of coal with geothermal heating by 2020. But for us it doesn't make sense. We live on a pile of glacial till where drilling can be unpredictable and we don't need air conditioning so we lose that cost benefit. Air to air makes more sense for us.
https://arstechnica.com/information...me-for-a-ground-source-heat-pump-renaissance/

Last edited: