Google's "Dandelion" offering $20-25K geothermal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I guess I've read too many stories of dead cats from drinking anti-freeze left outside of garages. I'm not sure what the "safe" concentration would be.
You can tell from my avatar that I'm not interested in hurting any cats but it sounds like we're talking about different glycols, based on what @moey posted. Antifreeze (which is mostly ethylene glycol + some other stuff) has an NFPA health hazard rating of 2 (moderate), while polypropylene glycol is rated 0 (insignificant). It's also biodegradable so, if it gets out, there's a chance it will break down before it goes too far.

Reactions: Ashful
Anyone who has had a colonoscopy most likely downed a jug of the safe stuff (polyethylene glycol, AKA PEG).One of its many uses is as a laxative and it works very effectively :eek:. Its also used in a lot of food products included carbonated beverages and cake icing. Given the volume in geothermal loop even if the entire loop dumped down the hole and into the aquifer it would be diluted quickly.

Reactions: Ashful
Anyone who has had a colonoscopy most likely downed a jug of the safe stuff (polyethylene glycol, AKA PEG).One of its many uses is as a laxative and it works very effectively :eek:. Its also used in a lot of food products included carbonated beverages and cake icing. Given the volume in geothermal loop even if the entire loop dumped down the hole and into the aquifer it would be diluted quickly.
And the neighborhood septic systems would overload in a couple days. ;lol<>