Gooserider or other: Finally using wood stove, but need info on "air knobs"!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hello There,
I posted some questions in the summer when I was preparing my wood stove, but now I'm actually using it!

It's an old Pro-Former Z, impeccably maintained.

My question: There are two knobs on the right hand side of the stove (top and bottom) and the damper control on top. It seems that a new fire gets going best when I open the damper and the bottom knob all the way and shut the top knob. Now, I want to try to figure out how to burn most efficiently. Should I shut the bottom knob completely and open the top all the way, or do I need to find a mix between the two being open? Also, how do I know (other than smoke) if the damper is shut too little or open to much?

Rock on!

SML

Status
Not open for further replies.