GoPro 360 Flue inspection is pretty slick!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeff15

Dec 9, 2020
Tahoe
I used a GoPro MAX with a Bushman Halo 360 light to inspect the flue for my upstairs open fireplace. Pretty impressed with the quality.

Check out the 360 footage here:

This was after sweeping. A little glazing, and some missing mortar. More concerned about the mortar joints, what do you think?

tempImageYS32XM.jpg

Pretty nifty. Took me a second to understand what I was looking at.

That worked well. It has nice close focus ability. @bholler has the best trained eye for this. It does look like there is some missing mortar and it looks like the smoke shelf needs vacuuming out. Is there a cracked tile at 1:02?

I didn't see any cracks but the tiles are definitely deteriorating and lots of missing mortar

Thanks for the feedback. Think it's OK to run it another winter before a major fix?

Knowing I want to keep the fireplace open (I already converted the downstairs fireplace to a Lopi Large Flush NexGen insert, and have other wood stoves for heat), Is running the largest rigid liner with a chimney gather the best DIY solution? And switch to a top mount damper?

The flue ID is 13.75x 9.75 if I remember right. It's a typical 70s heatilator/heatform double wall steel box

tempImage6gViRh.jpg