Got a free stove. Need help w/ ID and install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ansky

Feb 18, 2013
central CT
My dad had this stove sitting at his hours for at least 20 years. Yesterday he gave it to me. The idea is for it to heat 1 room, the room above my garage. My Jotul 550 rockland heats my whole house, except the room above the garage. Now that I have this small stove, does anyone have any thoughts, tips, concerns on using it to heat this room? What sort of clearances do I need? I plan to out it in the corner where the guitar is.

Also, I think it's a wood stove. My dad also called it a pot belly stove. But it is pretty small. I was wondering if maybe this thing was meant for coal. Any help is appreciated.

e033a99809ecd76307cc9ba06a2a21e0.jpg

a47ef76d1f9964403441588fb2087b49.jpg

174686404d53e35fa860c08e80742697.jpg

852793ba2afa9c6bfa715853683d4dee.jpg

a9b25faea22bc34a6665c48a873cb711.jpg

Pics of house and room layout

225a12aff8b048e1f0ca5c574bfdb09d.jpg

f2fb0e166da930b5ca0c822ad4b9e6b0.jpg

2325773cd59f6f082968c404681a7f0c.jpg

b26c0f7a42d1414f59aafdc7d2ed25ca.jpg

My opinion: Too old to put in a living space. Maybe fine for a workshop or as a meat smoker out back. Relist it on Craigslist to unload it if necessary. If you are really set on heating that small area with a stove (and sacrificing significant living space to do it) then look for a small big box Englander or similar brand, or check Craigslist for excellent condition used units. I find that having a glass door is a decent indication of likely being made in the last 25 years. Lots of advice found on this site for buying used.

I am also skeptical if that stove would make you happy. In that corner you will run into huge problems with ceiling clearances. Plus, the chimney would need to stick out the roof quite a bit to get some kind of reliable draft. Does the room not get any heat at all or is it just not sufficient? We supplement our bedrooms with electric baseboards (put in by previous owner) in the early morning hours when the heat of the stove is not enough anymore. Cost-wise I think it is still the most effective solution as they are really cheap to put in and can be easily controlled by a thermostat.

That is a cool looking piece of hardware - would be a great conversation piece out in a back workshop. How about a re-purpose - as a sort of vintage "chiminea" out in the fire pit or the back corner of the property? Beyond that I wouldn't install indoors for the reasons mentioned. Also (at least where I am) home insurance would probably pull the plug if anything without current UL / Intertek / CSA approvals, etc. was installed in the home.

If it serves as a bedroom, that would be a no-no.

Yeah it is gonna require monster clearances which will eat a lot of the room space. Looks like an old railroad car stove.

PS: It's a coal stove.

Not in my house.

Ok. Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I may not even be able to pull a permit to install it. And insurance won't allow it either. I'll talk to my dad and probably end up putting it on Craigslist. I don't have a barn or work shed where it may come in handy for someone.

Just curious, as I am still new to the stove world, what makes this stove dangerous? Or is its just dirty, or smokey, or all of the above?

I've got some electric baseboards that I can use for that space. I'll probably go that route. I'm not buying another stove.

I'm not certain any stove will work where the guitar is. I can't see a stove having enough space before the ceiling. I'd stick with the baseboards heat for that space, putting in stove will take up too much room.

About all you could use there might be a very small pellet stove, but only if it is a non sleeping room. Combustion type appliances in a sleeping room are against code now days.

Status
Not open for further replies.