Got a Grandma Bear - Weighing my options on chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks like it would do the trick. I'm still studying on the chimney. Do you know of any reason not to use duratech for this stove? I was planning to use duraplus but having clearance problems (not anything that cant be solved with a bunch of work). From all i read, the duratech works just as well with listed stoves.

No reason not to use DuraTech. It is slimmer than triple wall DuraPlus if you have a smaller space to run it through. It is heavier by weight of each piece. Both have 2 inch clearance to combustibles.
Since the triple wall has been around since the early 80's it came in kit form with many Fisher Stoves. As these pipe sections are replaced, the larger hole already exists, so it's common to stick with the older triple wall style. The original didn't have an insulation wrap around the inner flue liner and the newer pipe sections with insulation do not work with the old support box. They will physically connect, but the starter hub in the box circulates air differently.
One part the double wall DuraTech doesn't have to fail is the spacers that hold the three walls apart top and bottom of each section. They can rot off inside requiring replacement before the liner corrodes through.

Dura-tech is going to be the ticket. I'm going to drop a flat ceiling down in between the last two rafters where the chase is/was. Then box off the last rafter so I can use and 11" square support box with insulation shield. 3 36" lengths of pipe. Sheet rock and service access, refinish ceiling and I'm done. The biggest challenge will be accessing the 12/12 pitch roof. Maybe I'll hire a roofer for that.

Attachments

• Destruction and progress.jpg
    Destruction and progress.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 230
  • P1020572.JPG
    P1020572.JPG
    421.3 KB · Views: 2,053
The adapter looks like it would work. It slides inside the outlet on the stove by the measurements. Is it drilled and screwed to secure?

Yes. Normally 3 screws.

Welp, it's probably all for naught. Local authority says International code trumps NFPA and international requires a listed stove.

What code are they referring to that requires a listed stove? Honestly if the local authority says it is a no go then it is but i would question what code they are referencing because i dont know of any national or international code that requires wood stoves to be listed in order to be used.

International Mechanical Code [ 2009 (Fifth Printing) ]

SECTION 905 FIREPLACE STOVES AND ROOM HEATERS

905.1 General. Fireplace stoves and solid-fuel-type room heaters shall be listed and labeled and shall be installed in accordance with the conditions of the listing. Fireplace stoves shall be tested in accordance with UL 737. Solid-fuel-type room heaters shall be tested in accordance with UL 1482. Fireplace inserts intended for installation in fireplaces shall be listed and labeled in accordance with the requirements of UL 1482 and shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions.

Ahhh ok i just looked that up that is an excluded section for pa where i work i would check it out that apparently is one of the most excluded sections of irc. But in the end it comes down to the inspectors call

Apparently they dont exclude anything... although they could under the existing residential code.

I tried the to justify it because it would be safer than the backup heat that was there but it didnt fly.

Apparently they dont exclude anything... although they could under the existing residential code.
I tried the to justify it because it would be safer than the backup heat that was there but it didnt fly.
Sorry that sucks. I would rather see you put in a modern stove but if installed correctly there is no reason that old stove could not work perfectly fine and be just as safe as a new one.

Planning a 13NC now. I have two prospects to buy the Fisher.. sure wanted to keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.