Got a new/old SpLiTtEr!!! Help me ID this engine please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPaint

Feeling the Heat
Jan 2, 2009
USA
So I got an old homemade splitter that is real nice and beefy BUT I have no idea what the engine is. Help please!

Seller said it was a Wisconsin and he was a knowledgable gentleman but I just wanted to see if anyone could point me to an accurate model number.

Attachments

• IMG00086-20110203-1447-1.jpg
    IMG00086-20110203-1447-1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG00088-20110203-1447-1.jpg
    IMG00088-20110203-1447-1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG00085-20110203-1447-1.jpg
    IMG00085-20110203-1447-1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 289
Looks like a Wisconsin to me. You will also see them on older cement mixers. Isn't there a number on the plate?

The starter looks like a wisconsin to me. What do you need a model number for?

And the real question, what kind of cycle times do you get with a gear reduction and chain drive hydraulic pump? Maybe time for a new engine hooked directly to the pump?

So its a Wisconsin and I got it running! Fluid is like a milkshake and so I have suction on the tank now. It would split but it would bog down on big logs. Checked fluid and it was all watery - breather was open to air.

Started draining it out via suction and its all water!!!

Cycle time wasn't too bad at all but I also don't understand why the guy used a geared down engine and also further geared down the pump with a smaller sprocket on the engine. Can I just remove the gear drive system and have the full RPM hitting the chain?

My FIL built my splitter with a 4 cyl Wisconsin out of a Bobcat and a pump out of a bulldozer. Scared the chit out him and he put a smaller pump on it. I swapped the Wisconsin out for an electric motor and have a winning combination. Sometimes its hard to tell how/why home built things happened but I bet you'll find out if you try to hook it up direct.

On the magneto it says Y-111. Mainly I just want a carb kit because one of the bushings is leaking just a little so I figure there is a seal I should replace.

Yeah ill either see if the gear reduction is removable or I'll try and swap chain sprockets. I want to keep the engine because it runs so well and I love old engines.

Now I bought a 5 gallon bucket of hydraulic fluid but I need to flush the lines and was hoping to run it on some ATF but I am being told that ATF shouldn't mix with hydraulic fluid?

SolarAndWood said:
My FIL built my splitter with a 4 cyl Wisconsin out of a Bobcat and a pump out of a bulldozer. Scared the chit out him and he put a smaller pump on it. I swapped the Wisconsin out for an electric motor and have a winning combination. Sometimes its hard to tell how/why home built things happened but I bet you'll find out if you try to hook it up direct.

Hi
I mix dextron III in with AW32 hydrolic fluid in my 950 loader.No ill effects.
Mix away
Thomas

Boy shes a nice splitter. I found an original oil bath air filter for her. It could use an auto-return valve. Any input on which one to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.