Inside or outside chimney flue? Please help me make a decision.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thank you, the site friendlyfires.ca that sells ICC Excel actually shows a house with ICC 30’s to clear the eave with the support directly under the first 30. This is exactly how mine is setup. I have a very small run between the 30’s just enough to clear the gutters.

Every install is different, just some homes don’t allow straight up unless you want an expensive remodel of your home making a wood stove a less attractive option IMO.
It may be ok, but I'd be more comfortable seeing it in writing. They have nothing in the installation instructions for an exterior offset. I've sent an inquiry into ICC to get a ruling.

FYI - Friendly fires is a Canadian store. Canadian rules are different. They also sell a 45º chimney elbow in Canada, but that is not permitted here.

My installer who has been in business since the early 80’s set it up this way. I trust this company. The inspector looked at the entire installation and said it was professionally done.

What is the issue with 30’s clearing a soffit/gutter run? It must be safe since they allow it in CA (I did know it was a CA site). Also know the CA rules tend to be stricter when it comes to class A chimneys. EXCEL is rated to standards higher than in the U.S. in regards to chimneys fires etc.

My installer said it also is a top product (expensive) in the industry.

I also did a search of this site and you responded to a guy in Iowa asking about an offset around the soffit:

“ Greetings Eric. Major class A pipe makers have a 15 or 30 degree offset elbow that is used in pairs for this type of installation.”

Last edited:
Excel is a top-rate chimney product. I verified in writing from Excel that they do permit this type of installation as long as it's properly installed. Some chimney manufacturers permit an exterior offset, some do not. It's unknown at this point, what brand of chimney pipe the installer will be offering.

Excel is a top-rate chimney product. I verified in writing from Excel that they do permit this type of installation as long as it's properly installed. Some chimney manufacturers permit an exterior offset, some do not. It's unknown at this point, what brand of chimney pipe the installer will be offering.
Thank you for the info. I also reached out to a supply house that sells EXCEL and they asked their ICC rep who said it was approved to use as I did, as long it was properly installed. Also confirmed with my installer. I appreciate you taking the time to check on your end as well.