Got a Tripp-Lite Isobar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2010
S.E. Michigan
Reading along about UPS units and such (which I don't need with the standby diesel genset) I decided to get a Tripp-Lite Isobar 2 outlet surge suppressor (35 bucks Amazon). Came in 3 days (no I don't have Prime either, not paying 12 bucks a month for something I've never needed anyway. If I want something that bad, I can most likely do without it anyway), which is neither here nor that but.. Came in the mail box this morning. Nice looking, well made black box for direct plug in, into a duplex grounded wall outlet.

About to install it. I have a multi outlet suppressor now, but it's ancient and I figure it's time to upgrade. The Tripp-Lite comes with a securing bracket and screw to secure it to the outlet so it don't come unplugged, nice feature. Not so nice is, it's made in China, but then today, isn't everything 'Made in China'?

Told the wife that the only thing today not 'Made in China' is babies but they get delivered with Chinese surgical tools..... :p

Even the door casting on my biomass stove was cast in China (says so inside in the casting).

Sounds like you bought the Tripp-lite Ultrablock428 Isobar? Amazon product ASIN B00006B81D , 2 outlet 1410 joule protection, looks like a fabulous unit!, wish I found that one when I picked up an APC 6 outlet 1040 joule surge protector for a seasonal cottage that has a Enviro Windsor in it rarely used and typically left unplugged.

For the shop I run a APC UPS Sinwave Pro BR1500MS, Amazon product ASIN B08GRY1W93 its a pretty good unit runs the stove for about 2 hours on low, but this particular Flame FP45 stove flags a code "reversed polarity" when on batteries but still runs, it also did this with a Eaton UPS I use on my stereo equipment in the shop, we use to get a lot of power clitches and blips that would make my stove go into auto shut down which is a real pain to wait for shut down just to do a restart and then have a another power blip.., after installing the UPS life is good. I also have a small Briggs P2200 genny for the shop I can plug in when the UPS warns of low battery, and a whole house genny switch over panel is a must in the country. Funny thing my other Enviro Windsor stove can handle 1 minute power outages, once power is restored it just keeps on running like nothing happened.

Thats it. Bit cheaper down here. Don't need a UPS, have a diesel standby next to the barn, always ready. I do like the fact that you can secure it to the wall outlet with it's supplied bracket so it becomes a unit with the wall plug but still leaves one unprotected outlet for other stuff. Both LED's are lit so I'm good with the ground and polarity as well. Just wish it was made here, not there and I don't mind paying more for 'here' stuff anyway.

Funny thing my other Enviro Windsor stove can handle 1 minute power outages, once power is restored it just keeps on running like nothing happened.

Same here 'like nothing happened' Usually it takes about 45 seconds for the standby to assume the load after loss of utility power so I have 45 seconds of no power. Stove never misses a beat.

I also have stand by power and it's on in 45 seconds also. I have 2 UPS's one hooked to the satellite box and tv and the other hooked to the internet box and router. By doing this the tv and the internet don't miss a beat. My Harman stove has a surge suppressor on it and just like yours sidecar it doesn't miss a beat either.
Ron

Reactions: SidecarFlip
I also have stand by power and it's on in 45 seconds also. I have 2 UPS's one hooked to the satellite box and tv and the other hooked to the internet box and router. By doing this the tv and the internet don't miss a beat. My Harman stove has a surge suppressor on it and just like yours sidecar it doesn't miss a beat either.
Ron
You, like me, probably have Consumers which is known for power outages......... :)

Around here, if there is any wind, it's guaranteed to be lights out and on again is a crapshoot.

No satellite here, we have fiber optic which is amazing for being in the middle of nowheresville.

Yea you're right on the Consumers. LOL You're lucky you have fiber. All we have is 5mbs Phone line internet. No cable tv or fast internet available. Satellite is okay except when there's a power outage it takes about 5 minutes to acquire the satellite again. That's why the UPS is on the tv. Wifey needs to watch her cookin shows. LOL
Ron

You got that right. I don't watch the boob tube myself, she does. Favorite channel is HGTV and all the make over 'fantasy' shows, which I find to be boring. Nothing on there that I'm interested in at all and certainly not the 'news'.