Superwool Baffle Board

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yooper08

Minister of Fire
Jan 4, 2016
South Lyon, MI
To recap how this started if you haven't followed the related thread, the sweep that came to my house earlier this week broke my baffle board in half, and pretty good, too. Wasn't just cracked, it was pretty broken. So I had to get a replacement. I knew I could always order from SBI and my options were the vermiculite board that came with my insert or the c-cast board that comes in the Osburn model. The vermiculite board was $55 + foreign transaction fee + shipping. The c-cast board was $110 + same ancillary costs. There had to be an alternative, so I started shopping.

I looked at the usual online hearth suppliers (quite a few of them are right near me), didn't really find anything, so I hopped over to Amazon. I ended up finding what seemed to be some random company selling SBI replacement baffles for just a little bit less than the vermiculite boards from SBI, but they weren't vermiculite or c-cast, they were made of superwool by Lynn Mfg (actual Amazon seller was called something else). Did some quick research and from what I gathered Lynn supplies insulation products to the hearth industry as OEM parts. Cool, but what the heck was superwool? Well, come to find out that these superwool products are a newer material that is cheaper to make than c-cast products but insulates better than c-cast. Companies are moving more and more to the superwool stuff. Sold.

I ordered it on Amazon late Monday night, it shipped Tuesday afternoon, and was on my doorstep Thursday afternoon...all for free shipping. I only had two options for shipping, both of which were free: standard and economy, both of which projected the board to arrive sometime next week starting Tuesday. I've had good luck with sellers who don't use Amazon fulfillment and selecting the free shipping and getting it much sooner than expected. Case in point, I bought replacement firebricks as well the same night, fulfilled by Amazon, still hasn't shipped yet.

Box was directly from Lynn Mfg and was packaged nicely. Was kind of worried about it showing up broken, but the guys at UPS paid attention to the fragile label. Gave it a couple of taps, felt solid and sturdy compared to vermiculite. It was the right dimensions and everything, but seemed like there was a slight bow to it where the edges curled up/down depending on how you looked at it. Not sure how these are made so hard for me to gauge what would cause that. It looked very minor so I put it in anyway and having it resting up on the tubes confirmed it was definitely bowed. Currently have it in there so that the middle is sitting on the tubes and edges flare up. Not sure which way would be best, maybe the other way?

Started up a fire with some small splits to warm everything back up, get some coals and ash in the firebox, then put in 5 med sized splits.

So initial thoughts. Maybe this is just placebo effect so don't take this as scientific by any means right now, but I feel like I am getting hotter temps than I was before under similar load sizes. Secondaries seemed more robust and more blue in color. So far so good.

To recap how this started if you haven't followed the related thread, the sweep that came to my house earlier this week broke my baffle board in half, and pretty good, too. Wasn't just cracked, it was pretty broken. So I had to get a replacement. I knew I could always order from SBI and my options were the vermiculite board that came with my insert or the c-cast board that comes in the Osburn model. The vermiculite board was $55 + foreign transaction fee + shipping. The c-cast board was $110 + same ancillary costs. There had to be an alternative, so I started shopping.

I looked at the usual online hearth suppliers (quite a few of them are right near me), didn't really find anything, so I hopped over to Amazon. I ended up finding what seemed to be some random company selling SBI replacement baffles for just a little bit less than the vermiculite boards from SBI, but they weren't vermiculite or c-cast, they were made of superwool by Lynn Mfg (actual Amazon seller was called something else). Did some quick research and from what I gathered Lynn supplies insulation products to the hearth industry as OEM parts. Cool, but what the heck was superwool? Well, come to find out that these superwool products are a newer material that is cheaper to make than c-cast products but insulates better than c-cast. Companies are moving more and more to the superwool stuff. Sold.

I ordered it on Amazon late Monday night, it shipped Tuesday afternoon, and was on my doorstep Thursday afternoon...all for free shipping. I only had two options for shipping, both of which were free: standard and economy, both of which projected the board to arrive sometime next week starting Tuesday. I've had good luck with sellers who don't use Amazon fulfillment and selecting the free shipping and getting it much sooner than expected. Case in point, I bought replacement firebricks as well the same night, fulfilled by Amazon, still hasn't shipped yet.

Box was directly from Lynn Mfg and was packaged nicely. Was kind of worried about it showing up broken, but the guys at UPS paid attention to the fragile label. Gave it a couple of taps, felt solid and sturdy compared to vermiculite. It was the right dimensions and everything, but seemed like there was a slight bow to it where the edges curled up/down depending on how you looked at it. Not sure how these are made so hard for me to gauge what would cause that. It looked very minor so I put it in anyway and having it resting up on the tubes confirmed it was definitely bowed. Currently have it in there so that the middle is sitting on the tubes and edges flare up. Not sure which way would be best, maybe the other way?

Started up a fire with some small splits to warm everything back up, get some coals and ash in the firebox, then put in 5 med sized splits.

So initial thoughts. Maybe this is just placebo effect so don't take this as scientific by any means right now, but I feel like I am getting hotter temps than I was before under similar load sizes. Secondaries seemed more robust and more blue in color. So far so good.
Well, it is called superwool after all, so I would expect superior results.

What firebricks did you order? Was it free shipping on those, too?

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Also took the opportunity to close the gap between the firebox sidewalls and the baffle. There's probably a 1/2 inch or so gap, so I took some extra door gasket I had, stretched it out a little, and put it on one side and put the baffle back in. Don't expect too much of an improvement, but it is essentially a 6.25 sq in hole that equates to about 2.5% of the area above the firebox.

Also took the opportunity to close the gap between the firebox sidewalls and the baffle. There's probably a 1/2 inch or so gap, so I took some extra door gasket I had, stretched it out a little, and put it on one side and put the baffle back in. Don't expect too much of an improvement, but it is essentially a 6.25 sq in hole that equates to about 2.5% of the area above the firebox.
Brother Bart does this if my memory serves me, but I think I recall that he slipped a steel rod into the gasket material for some rigidity.

So after burning 24/7 since this past Wednesday afternoon, I’m not sure which improvement is having more impact here, but there seems to be one. For example, this morning I was able to relight from coals after 11 hours from a load of ash. Never been able to do that before. But generally, it’s been easier to have coals to relight from than before. Before, I had been questioning my burn times and trying to find reasons they seemed shorter than they could be. Not anymore.

But the new baffle is working well and new gasket seems to be helping some by preventing some air from going up around the sides and redirecting it across the tubes towards the front.

I also seem to be getting more heat out of it as well, but that’s probably more related to more insulation in the fireplace.

Just wish I had some concrete data to share, like temp probes in various places and whatnot.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
So after burning 24/7 since this past Wednesday afternoon, I’m not sure which improvement is having more impact here, but there seems to be one. For example, this morning I was able to relight from coals after 11 hours from a load of ash. Never been able to do that before. But generally, it’s been easier to have coals to relight from than before. Before, I had been questioning my burn times and trying to find reasons they seemed shorter than they could be. Not anymore.

But the new baffle is working well and new gasket seems to be helping some by preventing some air from going up around the sides and redirecting it across the tubes towards the front.

I also seem to be getting more heat out of it as well, but that’s probably more related to more insulation in the fireplace.

Just wish I had some concrete data to share, like temp probes in various places and whatnot.
Thanks for the follow up, Yooper. Sounds like you have it set up real nice.