Got a wee scrounge. Now I'm purring...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnapCracklePop

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2010
Southwestern Penna
It wasn't much, and it was pine. But it was free.

Fella was cutting up a pine tree about half a mile from my house. In true forum fashion, I braked to a stop, asked a few questions and got myself some BTUs.

The guy delivered half a dozen logs, about 7 feet long. Said he'd drop off anything else he cuts up in the area, but since he's mostly retired now I don't think this will amount to much.

Ah, well. My first scrounge.

It feels goooooooooooood.

Nancy

Nicely done! C/S/S & enjoy the free heat. A C

Atta Girl, Nanc !!!!!! Isn't it an awesome feeling??

Don't be afraid of the pine, it's your friend :)

Nice score! Plus it was delivered! You can tell I'm not a wood snob :)

Well done Nancy. Now how exactly did you find free wood AND get him to deliver it?

Derek said:
Well done Nancy. Now how exactly did you find free wood AND get him to deliver it?
I know for a fact that ya gotta be better lookin than I am, cause it never works that way for me. :cheese:

Fer sure I didn't get the wood based on my looks!

Nah, the guy had a dump truck, and he had to dump it somewhere, so...

The fun part was the reaction I got when I told him I'd cut and split it myself. He was impressed.

Nancy

PopCrackleSnap said:
It wasn't much, and it was pine.
Nice score! Those little bits here and there add up. I scrounged some Pine as well from a neighbor. We'll use it for cold starts to get the load going faster and light off the combustor more quickly.

Nothing like pine for easy starting and quickly heating up a cold stove. The snobs can have their black locust and oak - I'll take my crackling, popping, danger-to-open-the-door pine any day :)

Good job Nancy. I have almost a cord of white pine and spruce in varying degrees of readiness.
Actually, the plan is to try to get as much of that stuff as possible to avoid using the good stuff in the "shoulder" seasons.
I've been working on a bunch more for the last few days and will be for several more. Won't be ready until next year though.

WTG Free BTUs are the best BTUs !

Shawn

Damn, I put split pine on the curb with a free sign on it and all anyone ever took was the sign.

billb3 said:
Damn, I put split pine on the curb with a free sign on it and all anyone ever took was the sign.

:lol: Reminds me of a story Dad told me a while back.A friend of his had a smaller working refridgerator in the garage he didnt want any more.He put it out on the curb with a cardboard sign "FREE".It sat out there for several days with no response.Then he changed the sign to "$10 - IT WORKS,Knock on front door....."

Someone grabbed it within 2 hrs :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.