Got another Newbie OAK qestion.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mustangwagz

Feeling the Heat
Oct 5, 2014
Western PA
Sup folks,

Past couple days its been freakin nice out here... Come home and no one but dog is home and pellet stove is puttering along on low, house is pretty warm, yesterday it was 80 in here. After sun went down, temp dropped QUICK.. Here's what i noticed..

I dont have my OAK hooked up yet, but really thinkin about running one..especially now.. tell me if im high from pellet fumes or am i seeing a difference for a reason?

We had doors open in the house last evening and this evening, It REALLY seemed as though when doors were open, the pellet stove would actually cook and heat alot better. I know what most of you will say "duh dummy, thats the idea of an OAK Herp Derp!!"

Answer me this...hows come at the OAK intake pipe it barely pulls any vacuum, but when i open the doors the stove performs better overall? Is it cuz my ole 6039 actually pulls more air via the ashbox then it does the OAK pipe or is it cuz the OAK pipe actually gets to do what it supposed to and kinda pulls outside air in via that way?

Help a dood out wouldja!? lol Thanks folks

-Zac

Perhaps you deep to adjust the damper on your air intake.

There's No manual adjustment on my stove. It's the older version. Trust me, I've looked and researched. Lol

With all the doors closed, the intake tube is the only avenue for combustion air. If your stove needs more air either something is clogged or your combustion fan isnt operating properly.

Well the way my stove is designed, it can actually pull more air via the ash pan then it could via the little 2" OAK tube. The newer models had manual draft plates that slid and closed off the ash pan area which would allow more use if the oak air control.

Also, fwiw, when I purchased stove I tore it completely apart and cleaned all its nooks and crevices with some.home made attachments I made. Haha. So as for clean and working properly I'm not to worried in that aspect. Mechanically it's functioning perfectly I beleive, however I'm just thinking scientifically lol. I'm used to burning a giant wood stove and the sciences behind those versus a pellet stove are similar but also very different.

Then it sounds like your stove is operating normally. Its probably already tuned to give the right amount air for the best possible burn.

A 2" OAK is plenty. Either it's got a blockage, or you are imagining the difference. It should not feel like a vacuum cleaner.

Reactions: mustangwagz
A 2" OAK is plenty. Either it's got a blockage, or you are imagining the difference. It should not feel like a vacuum cleaner.
Ok good deal. i figured it oughta pull some good vacuum but i guess i was wrong. It'll pull vacuum tho, i know what. i can like a cigarette and it pulls the smoke no problem, even if i cup my hand and block it off and let it "take a drag" off of it. haha. ya i know, crude way of telling right? lol ive also noticed, if i block the intake pipe off, it doesnt seem to change the way the flame burns either. Had wife cover it while watching and i see no difference.

Also, there's no blockage, im telling ya i cleaned and blew it out like a mad man. did prior research before firing it up. I was just simply curious just how much "suckage" or vacuum was typical Or if i was just high from the pellet fumes. (which by NO means do my pellts put off fumes, just that aroma of a freshly opened bag of Somersets) haha.

.4 - 1 inch water column draft is normal. It's not a lot and too much will actually waste heat / blow pellets out of pot.

You should notice what a lazy flame looks like when you open your door with a decent size flame going.

Status
Not open for further replies.